Laptop solution for 30-40 liter rucksack?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tymmz, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a nice solution for attaching/cobining a Laptop-case to/with a 30-40 liter hiking rucksack.

Does anyone has an idea what's available?

thx

2. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

3. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

4. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

sorry for bringing this thread back, but i thought there would be more mr members online by now.

5. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

I would go into a local apple reseller, find their best Sleeve (most padding) preferably a hard or semi-hard shell, and pack that into the main compartment, closest to your back/frame.

Pack everything else around it, making sure that the sleeve/laptop will not shift during your trip.

That should be sufficient.

6. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

The thing is I would love to have some kind of attachable and rainproofed bag, because when I go on a plane I could just detach it and take it on board.

7. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

That sounds like a more specialized(read: expensive) probably custom made solution. If you know a rigger or know of a way to get in touch with one, that should be an easy task for them to do.

When I was in the Army, all you'd need to do is give the rigger a 24(or more) of beer and he'd do the work for you ;)

8. Dubba macrumors regular

9. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Thanks a lot, but too small.

10. JAT macrumors 603

Try www.tombihn.com for the Brain Cell. Their Brain Bag is a great large backpack, but not as large as you want, I don't think. But the Cell is a hard-side/sling-bottom laptop bag designed to be locked into the Brain Bag or other bags. You could possibly use its straps to tie it into your bag even though it isn't designed to match.

Not exactly rain-proof, though. Resistant, not proof.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

30-40 litres isn't so big, though. That Spire backpack that was suggested is (after a little help from the Calculator and Translator widgets) is around 1.605 cubic feet, and 45 litres. Not sure about the main compartment though.

You're looking for a hiking backpack.......does it have to be a vertically designed, top loading bag?

I'd take the sleeve solution. Buy the backpack you want and put your laptop with sleeve into it. People did that with iBooks for years before Mac users started becoming really wimpy. :p

STM has a foam-based sleeve that's so amazing and well padded. I'd get that or something like that. :) I actually own the STM sleeve, and highly recommend it, although I have heard of alternatives that offer similar protection.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302699687&bmUID=1162250429162
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302700149&bmUID=1162250685610
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302700149&bmUID=1162250810986
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302700149&bmUID=1162250810982

All in Canuck dollars, and all sweet, sweet bags for hiking. :) One of these bags + STM sleeve = sweet. I tried to find one with a separate detachable bag, and didn't find anything within that size range. If you want a detachable section, you should look into a bigger bag.

No way.

12. Lau Guest

I have something a bit like this, which is a great rucksack, especially if you're not hiking so much as getting trains and planes and stuff. Much more practical than a hiking type rucksack, as mine zips open like a suitcase, and the straps fold away for flying. The extra rucksack is good too, and you could always pack the laptop in that in a sleeve as purelithium and Abstract suggested. It's zipped on round 3 sides, and clipped on in 3 places, and you could always lock them together for security if you have to travel on the Metro or something.