Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
hey, I have the 17" powerbook, and i was wondering what's the most powerful external speakers that I can use with my computer. For example, i am using a pair of altec lansing speakers, with a sub. And i know you can't put 4.1, 5.1 or 6.1 speakers on a laptop. So does anyone out there know of any really good speakers?

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
I have a set of the HK/JBL creature speakers and they are so cool! The sound is very crisp and the sub is outstanding. I have em hooked up to my 17"PB.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i've got Altec Lansing AVS 500's. (i think they'er the ones). they're the 4.1 system anyway. they didn't cost too much, and they're plenty loud for my bedroom.

as for the most powerful speakers you can use, i don't think there is a limit because most speakers have their own power supply.

it also depends what sort of money you want to spend, and whether you want 5.1 etc...

there has been alot of discussion on speaker systems in the past. you should be able to find alot of info if you do a search of the forums.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I believe you could hook up a 4.1 system to your laptop utilizing a y-adapter. Of course you'd only have two channels(L,R) but they'd certainly be two powerful ones. When I had my iMac I got around the issue of not having a sound card by using a y-adapter to plug in my Klipsch Promedia 4.1's. Go the way of Klipsch if want walls to shake and neighbors to complain.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I know you want to have additional speakers, but would anyone agree with me that the speakers on the new PowerBooks are absolutely great? I think my 12" PB sounds great for a laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.