laptop stand recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by intrepkid21, Jan 27, 2005.

1. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

Lately, my laptop has been immobile and has become my desktop replacement. Can anyone recommend a nice stand for my 12" iBook? I'm looking at the iCurve but I'm not sure.

2. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

icurve is decent. i'm not a stand fan, but if i was, i would get one of those.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I use a CoolPad for my Powerbook and I find it excellent as it sets a nice angle for me and is still low enough for me to easily type on the laptop keyboard.....oh yeah!

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I used the iCurve with my PB 12" and liked it.

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

iCurve all the way.I love things that just work, look good and are not intrusive.

6. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Yes - agreed. I'm the happy owner of an iCurve.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I have a MacAlly ice station.
    I picked it over the iCurve because it have adjustment options.
    I'll agree that iCurve looks a bit better.

8. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

iCurve is too much for me.

CoolPad rocks. Good price, durable design, adjustable, doesn't take up your entire desk. :)

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I have an iCurve on my desk with my iBook G4. It "looks" like you wouldn't want to type on it up that high but actually it's really really nice. Plus I can put my empty candy wrappers under it. :)

11. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I will also say that I am a happy iCurve user, but with a couple caveats:

- If you do need to type on the laptop's own keyboard or use its trackpad in a pinch, the iCurve has some suspension-like qualities to it. Your laptop will move up and down slightly ... or maybe I'm just a heavy typeist. Anyway, that bugs me.
    - Personally, my PowerBook's keyboard is the best I've ever used, with any computer, desktop or laptop. By placing the PB in the iCurve, I am forced to use a different keyboard that just can't quite compare.

But in general, I find its elevation level ideal and now could not go back to using my PB flat on the desk for extended periods of time.

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yes your right Mcgarry I would not want to use the keyboard and trackpad on the stand it does move up and down a bit.With a bluetooth keyboard an mouse its perfect.

13. silentrage macrumors member

14. deebster macrumors 6502

I don't use my iBook's keyboard or trackpad when it's on my desk, and due to being in the tropics it was getting a bit warm around the hard disk area.

Even if I wanted to shell out on a purpose-built stand there are none within 500 miles of me, so I cut off four 1" sections of plastic pipe and put them under my iBook's feet.

Works great. The sections are not visible unless I bend forward to look under the iBook, air flow is much better now and best of all, it cost nothing.

:D

15. robshakir macrumors newbie

I too have an iLap and they're pretty awesome. Nice for using on your lap, and good for using on desks too :)

Rob

16. silentrage macrumors member

Sounds interesting. Can you post a pic? :D

17. silentrage macrumors member

Yeah, whenever I go to do work at the coffee shop or a bookstore I get questions about where I got it from. It is great and makes it easier to type when sitting on my lap.

18. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Another vote for the iCurve. It's also useful if you get an iSight, since the iSight will be pretty ideally situated once your laptop is elevated.

Of course, an external (preferably wireless) keyboard and mouse are essential. I've got the Apple wireless keyboard and a wired Logitech mouse, both of which are great (well, except for the lousy Logitech software).

19. deebster macrumors 6502

OK silentrage, here's a pic of a friend's powerbook and home-made supports.

Mine are similar but shorter, although right now I'm too lazy to take a photo of them :)

[​IMG]

20. silentrage macrumors member

Thanks for sharing Deebster :D . Seems like an inexpensive way to make a stand. What is under the keyboard?

21. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

its one of those crazy rulers thats architects and engineers use ....

22. deebster macrumors 6502

Looks that way yeah. I've only ever seen this picture and not the pb itself, as he's half way across the world from me.

I think matey was feeling his keyboard needed a bit more airflow and (of course) wasn't going to spend any money on the problem.

:D