Laptop Stands

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by micvog, Jun 1, 2004.

1. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

I recently picked up a 12" PB rev. C as my primary computer and would like to get a laptop stand to allow better cooling at my desk and on my lap. I have found the following five options:

Rain Design iLap
    Podium CoolPad
    MacMice iBreeze
    Targus ChillMat
    iCurve

I listed them in order of my initial preference. (I am fine with the PB's keyboard so barring a compelling argument otherwise, the iCurve doesn't appear to fit the bill.)

If you use one of the above, please give me your feedback. If you know of another option, please let me know.

Thanks.

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i have rev. A 12" PB, which, i assume, gets hotter than yours.

i use the travel version of CoolPad. for $20, it is hard to beat.

3. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

iCurve all the way.

I have the iCurve for my 12" iBook and I love it. It's beautiful and puts my computer right at eye level, where it should be.

If you're not tired of the keyboard on your PowerBook now, you will be very soon, it's small and the keys don't press down nicely. Plus it's not good for you to type like that for a long time. iCurve and an external keyboard is the best combo in my opinion. It's worth the $40 for the way it looks and the function it performs.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I have the normal CoolPad. It's nice and low-profile, so if I need to take it somewhere with me, I just take the risers off the back and stick it in my bag.

The only problem I see with the iLap is that it blocks access to the optical drive on the 15" and 17". Extremely annoying I'm sure ;)

5. Spizzo macrumors 6502

If my powerbook gets too hot, i just let it soak in the tub for a half hour or so.

I've used the cool pad before, and didnt care for it much. The iLap looked pretty cool, but that access to the super/combo drive on the 15/17 is a good point. I always wanted one of those iGo's for my iMac. But i dont think i would use it, they just look cool.

6. mcfudd macrumors member

7. nyprospect macrumors 6502

8. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I love my iCurve! The fan goes on considerably less often, the laptop is at a more comfortable height, and it looks awesome! If you look around you can get them pretty cheap (I think Amazon has them for about $25).

However, my laptop is more of desktop replacement - 90% of the time it stays on the iCurve, 8% of the time it's connected to my TV and sound system (to watch movies), and 2% of the time I take it with me when I go somewhere. Of course, those numbers are made up guesses. If you are someone who wants to move all around the house all the time with your laptop (as opposed to having a desk where you use it) the iCurve is definitely not for you.

9. knicksfan58 macrumors member

not the icurve

i recently got the i curve for my new powerbook g4 17". when I put the computer on it, I noticed that it wobbled and was very unstable. I immediately took the pb of off the stand and returned the icurve. i
    ve also heard stories and seen pictures of notebooks falling off and crashing from this thing. I don't reccomend it.

10. micvog thread starter macrumors 6502

micvog

Thanks for the replies.

I have found local stores that carry both the CoolPad and the iLap - I am going to see those in person and make my decision. If the CoolPad would work in my lap, I will probably go with that (save $30 and the ability to swivel seems cool), otherwise I will get the iLap.

11. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

It's really designed for the 15" (or the 12") sizes. The 17" might be pushing it. However, there are rubber bumpers that you can stick on the front. This will make absolutely sure even you're 17" won't fall.

If you wish to make it even more stable, rubber pieces attach to the bottom, giving it grip on the table.

All the rubber-sticky-things are included with your iCurve.

12. wesli_1 macrumors member

Low Tech?

I found a piece of 4x2 makes a pretty good stand :)

But hey, I'm a poor Uni student.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

coolpad all the way, you can pick the level of adjustment, it fits nicely on your lap, it swivels, and it holds your laptop securely

my gf got one and i thought i could do without it, i used it for a day and immediately went out and got my own

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I have a coolpad and I think its excellent. When its on my desk at home i use an ext keyboard but at school i type directly onto it andi ts good. The icurve is nice when your using a keyboard i guess but i don't think its a good option for day to day use.

15. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

16. wide macrumors 6502a

40 dollars is worth it? I'm sure it's very functional and looks nice...but that is a 2 dollar piece of plastic (including the tariffs charged when it is imported into the United States from China). A more reasonable price would be $20 dollars...and even that would be overpriced. I don't even think notebook cooling is necessary. If your computer burns out, it's the manufacturer's problem--and you can file a lawsuit if there are dangerous results. My Dell overheats a ****load. It is unbelievable--I'm barely able to use this computer on my lap. I leave it running on full speed with the screen shut, and it's still okay. However hot it might get (at least with PowerBooks, definately not iBooks those things will melt), it shouldn't be a problem. All of those "solutions" are just gimmicks from certain companies to make money.

EDIT: Just for those who may consider arguing: I'm a little conservative...it's nothing personal and please don't think I'm dissing your product. I would like to have this product--it looks cool and would prevent the computer from...exploding or melting. But I wouldn't pay 40 dollars for it.

17. thecow macrumors 6502

18. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

iCurve really is worth it.

No, it really is worth it though. My iBook's motherboard failed out of warranty (not one of the iBooks covered under the Logic Board failure program), along with the hard drive and the battery. I suspect that one of the causes may have been overheating. After spending hundreds of dollars on repairs, I bought an iCurve, because I did not want it to happen again.

I agree that $40 seems a little expensive for a piece of plastic at first, but sometimes what we pay for as consumers is a product that is unique and performs a good function. I didn't want to buy a $20 cooling pad with a noisy fan or some magical piece of plastic that claims to dissipate heat. I wanted my computer at eye level while I typed into it, and cooled by air running under it, and this was the only solution on the market that I could find.

Looks aside, Griffin has a very unique product in the iCurve that performs a function unlike any of its competitors. It's not a gimmick- I paid $40 for a product that was critically acclaimed, to avoid wasting money on gimmicky pads that looked like crap and were built with poor materials, and would ultimately end up doing nothing for my computer.

I can safely say that the iCurve is the best cooling stand avaliable for any notebook. As for the person who says iCurves are unstable, that's completely untrue. My iCurve is solid and supports my computer perfectly. I can see no way that a computer could fall off of the stand unless it was improperly placed, or pushed off.

19. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think those notebook cool pads will help PBs increase heat dissipation as PB's exterior is made of aluminum (or titanium, in the previous iteration). But, I keep wondering how those cool pads will benefit those PCs made of plastic. I heard Plastic is not a good heat conduit and if you put those HP, Sony, or Dell on those cool pads, it is questinable if the cool pads are helping PCs with plastic exteriors for heat dissipatioin (unless, there are vents at the bottom of the notebook). Does iBook benefit from the cool pads even though it is made of polycarbonate plastic?

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Good for you, that's the best way to try to decide. Too bad you can't "borrow" them each for a week to get a better feel for them.

And to the previous posters in regards to the iLap w/ the cushions blocking the cd slot-- that is irrelevant to the OP because s/he has a 12" PB so the slot is on the right hand side.

21. alangyssler macrumors member

alangyssler

For what it's worth, here's another cooling pad to consider... I have a 1.2 iBook that used to get up to about 155 F, and got a Vantec LapCool2. Now, doing similar work which got it so hot before peaks at about 135 F. I idle around 110 F now as opposed to about 120 F before (estimates). It has two fans, and four USB 2.0 ports of the back, plus it can be height adjusted. I hardly even notice the fan noise (about as loud as my G4 QuickSilver, on a good day), and if they are bothering me, I adjust them down with the speed knob on the back. It can also be powered off the iBook's USB ports, or from the wall.

Here's the link:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/prod1613.htm

I think I paid about $35 for it. I consider it $35 well spent. I've not noticed my iBook's fans turn on once since I've purchased the LapCool2.

However, the one thing that slightly bugs me is that the 14" iBook hangs over about a half inch on either side. I wish they made anoter version that was slightly larger, but that's only for aesthetics.

22. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

You can always copy me. I don't mind. cost: $0.00

my setup

Just a set of wooden drink coasters I wasn't using. (Found them in my apartment when I moved in)

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've got the podium pad, the base swivels which is a really nice feature.

24. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I have ibreeze. It's nice looking and functional, but really doesn't give much lift

25. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I use the Coolpad. I have used Powerbooks (and assorted Wintel laptops at work) or years and never had a problem dealing with a "laptop keyboard" - in fact I have found that Apple's are definitely better than almost every other one I have ever used.

But, as said above, try out a few if you have the opportunity to do so, and see what works best for *you* - we are all different and when it comes to these "ergonomic" issues we can only give you what we have experienced and that may be completely different from your needs....oh yeah!