Laptop Switcher: Is an iBook 800mhz enough?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Piarco, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Hi All,

To say that I’m new to the world of mac’s is an understatement, but I’ve been drawn to the conclusion that Apple’s current range of laptops are seemingly head and shoulders above there Window’s based counterparts – more efficient than Centrinos, higher spec’d and the best looking bunch bar non. :D
    Originally I was going to be buying a top-of –the-range Sony Viao (17” widescreen etc) but have decided to get an ultraportable laptop, and upgrade to an uber-XPC (sorry I’m not giving up my PC – too much of a poweruser/gamer!) I’ve looked into the ultraportables and they don’t get any better than the 12” iBook or Powerbooks. I only need it (in theory) for wordprocessing, email and websurfing, plus maybe the occasional game (along the lines of Ouake 3, Black & White, Warcraft 3) and DVDs. The ability to do some casual photoshop work would be handy too. Oh, and iTunes is obviously essential for my iPod.
    I’ve been offered a mint condition iBook G4 with 640MB memory, 40GB HDD and Airport Extreme already installed, along with MS Office and various other programs.
    At around £575 (approx $1000) it seems to fit all of my pre-requisits…. But will it be able to do them fast? What I don't want to happen is having to wait an age for apps to open - I'd like everything to be a fluid as possible. Will it be up to the task? Will I be able to use Office and Internet Explorer at the same speeds I’m use to on a very (very very) fast PC? Will I be able to play the afformentioned games at max res with IQ on? Will I enjoy the OSX experience? (It does look damn good!)

Or should I hold out for a newer 1/1.2 ghz model or the 12” Powerbook? :confused:

Cheers for any replies,

Piarco75

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm on a 400 Mhz TiBook and I can do all of those things. However, whether it's 'fast enough' is really a matter of personal preference. Your main limitation will be the gaming. Some games already require more than 800 Mhz. An iBook isn't really a gaming machine--it's less than half the speed of the top of the line Powerbook, and many times slower than a G5. If you want an ultraportable, affordable, rock solid machine, it's hard to do much better than an iBook.

3. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

Gaming is (well it should be :D ) at the bottom of my list of priorities... but I think the games I've listed can all run on an 800mhz at max res with no problems at all. At least thats what I've read in some iBook reviews anyway! Its really the whole speed of the OS that matters more. The only iBooks I'll be able to have a go on before are the newer models - how much of an idea of the 800mhz performance would I get from them?

4. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Wordprocessing: no problem
    email: no problem
    websurfing: It was designed for that task man!
    Quake 3: no problem. running nicely
    Black & White: Don't know, don't have it. But requirements-wise, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Warcraft 3: no problem.
    DVDs: no problem.

Go for it. I have exactly the same config and it's a very nice package.

I paid for mine (new) 1300 Euros with students discount. So I think that's a fair price.

5. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

Doraemon - cheers! Exactly what I wanted to hear. Come next week I'll be a regular on macrumours forums... :D