Laptop to Desktop? Should I?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by atacinus, Jul 27, 2004.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

Hello, I have a 15" 1ghz powerbook now. i am contemplating selling this and then buying a G4 desktop system. Here.s the thing - i do video editing [film major] and the powerbook has always been fine for this. So going to a single G4 tower [can.t afford the G5] would that be pretty comparable? is it worth it? Should i? i.m just weighing pros and cons and am looking for imput.

Thanks,
    Christien.

2. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

In my opinion..definately not worth it..save your cash or plunk down the cash for a refurbished Rev A dual 1.8

3. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

powerbook g4 to powermac g4? not worth it.

why not just upgrade your ram in the PB if you haven't already done so?

4. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

Yeah,keep your PowerBook. I sold my PowerBook before to buy a 1GHz iMac,portability AND power is much better than being stuck at your desk.

5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Get extra RAM. It not worth it like many here said, unless you dont need mobility and you can get a G5 then dont switch.

6. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

I have to agree with everyone else on this one.

You're not going to see a significant performance gain with the G4 desktop. You're better off upgrading the RAM and maybe getting an external 7200RPM FireWire-800 hard drive, if you have the money.

7. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

If you think you can't afford a G5 but you can afford a G4 tower think again. Apple has a slight flaw in their pricing the single 1.25Ghz G4 goes for $1299 but you can get a refurb 1.6GHz G5 for $1299 from apples store (although they might be out of them now).

8. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

The best advice you will get is to not give up the portablity.

9. itsumo macrumors member

Yep, don't do it. If you like to work at a desk sometimes get an external monitor, maybe a keyboard and stand, then just plug in and go.

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

In fact I also have a 1Ghz 15" powerbook. But there are time when I don't have enough hdd space to archive stuff. That is why I purchased a 400Mhz G3 on eBay for $237. That way I can access my FW drive over a network (like the campus network) and when I come to my desk, unhook it from my B/W and use it on the TiBook for faster speeds. I also plan on using the B/W as an iTunes and iPhoto server of sorts. Now if it'll just get here ;P

11. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

I don't know the configuration of your PB, but for less than $500 you can max out the ram and swap out your hard drive for a speedy 7200rpm model. Both will give your laptop a kick in the pants in performance. The only advantage to going desktop is if you can afford a G5 and even then you really need at least a dual 1.8 or 2 GHZ model to tell a big difference in speed. All things being equal, portability plus the power of the Powerbooks (especially the new 1.5 GHZ models) are hard to top.

12. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

id only get a desktop if it can be a G5 you can look for a good deal on a single processor rev A. . . or unless you have some crazy third party PCI card that obviously cant go in a laptop. other than that i agree with everyone else.