Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gidman

macrumors member
Original poster
I have a new 12" PB on the way from apple and an HK 3470 Stereo Reciever and wondered what the best way to connect the two would be. I know that HArman Kardon used to make a connector, but I think it was just a PC to stereo bridge. I want to achieve the best results possible.

Do I just use the the headophone out/in jacks?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Well, if you want simple stereo (which is all that's supported at this time), just get a Y-adaptor with stereo minijack on one end, and component audio jacks on the other. Go ask around at Radioshack, describe it and they'll know what to give you. You plug it into your line output (or headphones, since you don't have line-- just set the volume somewhat low i think) and plug the component (also known as RCA-style) jacks into your stereo. If you want, you can get extension cables for either connection... i extend the minijack side whenever i'm doing it, but it's up to you. It's easier to get female-female minijack adaptors than it is f-f component adaptors.

I simply went ahead and bought an iPod, used a y-adaptor, works very nicely with my stereo. but i don't have a laptop, so that's more convenient.

:)
pnw

Gidman

macrumors member
Original poster
Laptop to Stereo

Is there an advantage to using the ipod setup you outlined (maybe a good reason to buy an ipod...) or is that just the setup that you use. Other question, what about signal degredation? Is there any and if so, whats the best way to cut down on it?

Thanks for your collected wisdom.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
It's just like any stereo connection: the better cables you buy, the less sound quality you lose. Of course, that is assuming that you have encoded your sound files as AIFF to begin with, (or at least 192 KB MP3). :)

If you have a laptop, the iPod will only be a convenience thing.

Regards,
Gus

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
if you're really anal about it, get gold-tipped connectors on your cable. they're all the rage right now. an iPod is just convenience; i'd have to do some drilling to connect my computer to the stereo but the ipod sits right on top of the entertainment center :)

it's just a bit of a pain to be tethered to your stereo like that, you can't surf the web on the other side of the room (unless you have a long cable!)

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.