1. clykins90 macrumors regular

clykins90

Hello!

I'm looking for an Apple Laptop. Right now the only mac I have is an upgraded G4 Sawtooth (1.0GHZ). I'm looking for a laptop for school and a few games (call of duty, warcraft). Right now the best deal looks to be the 12" iBook, but with that video card I don't know if thats what I want. The next step up would be a 12" Powerbook, but its a little expensive for me right now.

Any thoughts?

2. Romulan macrumors member

I'd go with the twelve inch powerbook all the way. Better video card, it comes with 256 more RAM now. Just overall it will serve your needs better.

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Look at a refurbished unit. I don't think that most of them are eligible for the student discount, but perhaps they are. If you need a laptop today, then don't wait and get an iBook. If you don't need the computer today, then wait until you can afford a PowerBook. It's “use life” will be longer. . Think about what you NEED the computer for. Don't forget to add in the cost of tax, accessories and shipping.

Some other things to think about, AppleCare (a must for portable users), an additional battery (third on my list of necessities), a good padded lap top sleeve, a good bag that doesn’t look like it holds a laptop (TimBuk2, Jandd, Manhattan Portage or get some good armor like a Boblbee Hard-shell. I find that the 12"PB dose just fine for school,work, video and audio editing, and for just about everything else I do on a computer. Lastly, a cheep 1gbUSB memory key/thumb drive will allow file transfer between you and a school computer.

As far as frills to think about- an iSkin keyboard protector and apples Superdrive are pretty nice. Actually, DVD backups are not a frill, but a necessity.

Side Note: I highly recommend TimBuk2 and Jandd for shoulder bags. They are really durable. I also recommend the Bobelbee Executive Megalopolis hard-shell backpack. I have had mine for 5 years, it has traveled around the world from LA and New York to Japan, Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. It’s extremely water resistant, the impact resistance is unequaled, and it is as vestal as it is cool looking.

4. clykins90 thread starter macrumors regular

clykins90

Thanks!

What is so special about apple care? Isn't it just a warranty?

5. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I have blown through over a dozen laptops. Apple’s have always preformed better and lasted longer than any other companies. That written, if you truly use a portable as a portable, then it is going to have problems at some point. AppleCare and extended warranties have always paid fort themselves. They work for me because I don’t have extra cash to spend on repairs. A computer is a necessity for work and for school. I can’t afford too much down time. AppleCare paid for a new screen, 2 handles , a CD ROM drive , and 3 or 4 keyboards on my revB tangerine iBook.

AppleCare may not work for you.

Look, I am a techno-survivalist. I have spare computer that I use when I am in rainforests, monsoons, or hiking up a mountain. If my computer could get damaged from the environment or by my own actions, I take a QuickPad Pro. I have dyslexia and dysgraphia, as well as other processing disorders. Computers allow me to connect to the written world, and that's why I need a computer.

6. lfielder06 Guest

I would suggest checking out older powerbooks. If you access this site through the education site the low end 12 in. is 1199.99. If that is in your price range that would be a great solution. You will get the 64mb video card (not sure if that is good enough for your games), as well as a better processor/fsb.

7. clykins90 thread starter macrumors regular

clykins90

Thanks alot!

I like that 1199 deal. Is there a good place I can find benchmarks for the powerbook?

8. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I'll reserve comment on how good they are or not, but you can try the old Macworld review and MacSpeedZone for benchmarks a'plenty.