Laptops and Jaguar...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by shadowfax0, Aug 3, 2002.

1. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

What will the new advantages of Jaguar be on the laptop? I heard that the laptops might now have a much better battery life than they do now, is this true? Anyone tried it?

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I don't know...

Well when I bought Mac OS X at the Apple Store, the guy there said that "Battery life on the old iBooks (like mine, 6 hours) may only last 5 hours. Now I don't know if it was just my "lucky" iBook or if Mac OS X just likes to eat volts! But think of it... How could they reverse this? If 10.1 did this how can 10.2 take it away!? MUNCH! MUNCH! MUNCH! MMMMmmmm... battery life! Yum!:eek: :rolleyes: :cool: ;) :p :D

3. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

I'm more worried about how Jagwire will run with older iBooks and Tibooks that use lower end video cards.

4. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

Crap!

* Requirements:
    Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti or any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required

So Thats what it says on the Quartz Extreme webpage on apple.com, so I think we are all screwed unless we give into large Apple pricing. But whats weird my friend had a Powerbook Pismo 400 running 10.2 from WWDC nad it was ok when I was on it.

5. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

Quote from a Apple Tech: "10.2 will run on all TiBooks. Just the older ones with lower rated graphics cards will not be able to take advantage of Quartz Extreme. Even without QE acceleration, 10.2 is still going to be a vast improvement over 10.1x. on all X compatible computers. "

6. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Re: Crap!

I've read already lots of articles on Jaguar, and most of the devs are also testing it on iMac slot loading, and they say that, even QE isn't supported, it still runs a lot faster.
    Jaguar is already tweaked to run faster, so it will, on all macs that run x now, only the older macs where the graphics card is too old to support QE will not have that extra speed bump that QE provides.

So Jaguar will be good for us all :p