laptops forever

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Sep 21, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i know desktops are expandable and more powerful than laptops and much cheaper,

but how many of you out there only like laptops due to their portability, lcd, ability to use on couch, in bed, almost anywhere?

since my wife and i became laptop slugs in 1999, we will never turn back...unless we have to utilize the power/expandability of a desktop in the future...or if our budget only allows for the next computer to be a desktop...those desktops have become so cheap in price in both the mac and pc worlds

2. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I prefer laptops.. in our house, we have 1 desktop and 4 laptops. The laptops are our personal machines and the desktop is for anyone to use. So, for myself, I would want a laptop. But I would still want a desktop for anyone in the family to use. :)

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I'm not one yet but I'll soon be switching to a laptop as my primary computer. Wireless internet is a big factor but portability will be useful to me too.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Considering I can't use/bring my Cube back and forth to class... :D

I have found my iBook to be a fine temporary solution. But I don't need the RAW power of the PowerMac dual processors.

IF I had to cash, or my parents had it, I would like to have a Ti and I would use it for the purposes of my Cube.

5. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i would get an ibook/powerbook someday if i have a good paying job and such but i mainly like desktop right now for some reason, even tho at times i wish i had a laptop...

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

when I get a jo, I'm gonna get an ibook, I love em

but I need a job first, anybody :D

7. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

after owning the TiBook i am sort of turned off of portables right now. the screen was nice but i really wasn't happy with the machine. i also seem to be much more productive when i'm strapped to a desk. an iBook on the other hand would be a cool little personal computer to have when on the road, or the toilet. just kidding. i think i'll actually pick up an iBook pretty soon to use for live performance, vacation and surfing the internet in bed. the TiBook isn't portable or durable enough to lug around and not worry about it. my 2 cents.

8. JamesDP macrumors member

Buying my iBook was absolutely the best computer purchase I've made. I love the idea of being able to take it anywhere. Like when we go on roadtrips, since none of us have video rigs in our cars, I can take the iBook and we can watch movies. If we get bored with that, I've got my entire CD collection on my hard drive. And wireless internet is killer. I totally love not being tying down when I'm computing.

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Until they have upgradeable graphics cards in them I don't want one for my main machine. I am interested in one though mainly as a portable DVD player.

10. vniow macrumors G4

Then buy a portable DVD player. :)

j/kng, you'll probably use it for other things too.:D

11. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Couldn't live without my Pismo! We have an iBook and a Pismo here at the house, and a G4 tower, but I'm getting ready to eBay the tower so I can finally upgrade to the TiBook next month (I'm hoping there will be the rumored new release so the current ones will drop in price). The desktop is such a powerful machine compared to my Pismo, but I do all of my work outside on the porch, between the classes I teach, or in the library working on my comprehensive exams. I haven't even been on the desktop for about 2 months (sad, I know), and since I quit my recording business (the reason I bought the machine), I've only used it to play WarCraft III, Medal of Honor and Diablo II.

AirPort is the greatest invention of my lifetime. :D :D

Gus

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Good portable DVD players are still around $700 and that's with a 9inch screen. Doesn't make much since when you can get an iBook with a 12inch screen for a few hundred more and do so much more.

13. vniow macrumors G4

I still don't see an upgradable video card in a laptop anytime soon, unless you want it to be thicker than those garish 'desktop replacements' that seem to be the current trend in PC laptops these days...... :rolleyes:

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I know it's just a pipe dream. Can't a guy fantasize. I will probably end up with an iBook in the next year. I have a B/WG3 400 totally loaded and an iMac 333 to sell first.

15. vniow macrumors G4

Hey, no problem fantazizing! This is a rumors site right?

You should see some of my 'drunk' posts for that.:p
    I'd luv2C an upgradable laptop too, but in reality, it would be too expensive and bulky, then again I'd also like 2C a brand new G5 Cube too!:D

16. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

I could never live without PowerBook G4. Sure, it's not as fast as my PowerMac DP 1Ghz, but nothing can compare to the pleasure of having a laptop and to take everywhere you go... It'll be you closest friend!

17. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

although i'd never make it one day without an apple portable, i really find it hard to do work on my powerbook when i'm using it on my desk. it doesn't have the best ergonomics by any means, and there's just something about working on a desktop computer that appeals to me when i'm at home/work

but until my work place uses macs, and i don't need to take a computer to school, i'll just stick to my wonderful powerbook

i wouldn't trade it for anything in the world... except maybe a powerbook g4 AND an imac g4 :)

18. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I was ten years old when I got my first computer; and guess what kind.... It was an IBM notebook!!! I am 21 now and I have been thru 13 notebooks!!!

Desktops just isn't my style ;), even thou I have a windows one, which I only use for Kazaa :p

19. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    switch them...

I plan on getting a new desktop (i already have a ti), then in two years, a new laptop, then two and a new desktop......

we'll see if that is possible...

20. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'd never go back to desktop. as long as i have the cash i'll always have a TiBook.

and tjwett, i lug my TiBook around every day. i just throw it in my backpack and don't have to worry about it. they're not as fragile as you'd think...

21. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

He's saying what all laptop owners are thinking! My iBook is my closest friend.

22. Chisholm macrumors regular

Chisholm

I prefer the desktop machines myself. Half of the college I work at uses Macs and the rest use PCs. I spend a lot of time trying to convert professors to Mac (cuz they're a pleasure to work on). I point to a disassembled PC on the floor of my office, show scars on hands recounting which PC did which and then.... pop open the shiney new G4's case. So easy.

This demo got the department chair to agree to 2 Ti's and 2 G4's last month. It was the first non production (FCP3 and Media 100) Macs the department had purchased in the 40 + years its been around.:)

23. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

though my parents have always had both (5 towers or so and 3 notebooks) around the house at nearly all times, i have always personally had a laptop. when i lived in a dorm (briefly, thank god) i needed to save the space and be able to move it easily when i left town (theft prevention). Now, i am so used to being able to chat in front of the tv or take it to the law center with me and take notes in class and use Westlaw and Lexis anywhere im at, i could never switch to a tower!

24. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im in agreement with jef. i have a ti and im hooked. i love how i can just carry it around where ever the hell i want and use it. it makes me more productive that way. now im wireless so im dangerous!

rock!:D