Laptops In Airports

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Dec 26, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

so if i bring my ibook to an airport, are they gonna make me pass it through the metal detector before i board my flight? i feel uncomfortable doing such things because i think it'll erase the hard drive or something.

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, if you pass through security (aka intend to get on a plane), it will go through an x-ray detector. It is not dangerous to your computer. It can go through asleep, or if you want a marginally higher amount of security, turn it off.

I know it sounds like it could screw up your computer, but many thousands go through every day, and it isn't an issue. My iBook has gone through many times without any problems, as had my Thinkpad from work before that.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Make sure you take it in your carry-on luggage though. The checked luggage goes through a far more powerful scanner.

5. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

Found that out the hard way when I stuck a laptop in my luggage to come home for Xmas cause I didn't feel like carrying it for once. Whatever they used WIPED IT CLEAN. Turned on the computer and BOOM "no bootable image detected" :(

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Eeep, sorry, yes, carry-on. I've never tried it in checked luggage, but doesn't sound good. And they will require you to take it out and put it in an open box by itself. Be sure you do it... you get a big hassle if you forget, because they will have to make you turn it on and will have to do more detailed searches and other crap if you forget.... :eek:

7. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

I can vouch for that one, things moved fast when I flew over thanksgiving and the bag snuck through before I reaalized, wasn't a serious problem, but did freak them out. They took the machine aside and did whatever they do to both the bag and powerbook.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If you want to be super streamlined, make sure to have the computer entirely out of any and all casing before it's your turn to pass through the metal detector. They make you put it in a little plastic tray with nothing else (you can set it on its case if you want to though) to run it through. It helps to have it out early.

Occasionally they'll select your computer and a man wearing gloves with gently wipe it with a dry swab, and take like 30 seconds analyzing the swab with some sort of machine before handing it back to you. (It has only ever happened to me in Paris, though).

9. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

if this phenomenon were common, and was seen to be a problem, then no one would dare travel with a portable....which sort of defeats the point:D
    X-rays are only seen as harmful to undeveloped rolls of film you get in the old 35mm cameras. the only thing that the digital age has to worry about is magnets.....big, BIG, magnets:D

any digital device (your ipod, your phone, your digital camera memory card and your Hard Drive from your favourite computer you have which has a hard drive or other form of memory) can be completely destroyed if accidentally dropped into a box of brightly and cheerfully coloured alphabet fridge magnets. delightful!:D

my ipod looks like a big black square wrapped in seaweed (the headphones) when it passes through the detectors.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I mentioned it in another post, but I was cool about it and felt bad, and they felt bad to have to rigamarole me too...

Plus it became evident that I'm not terrorist material when they saw my white computer with pink keyboard and Hello Kitty desktop. :eek: :eek: :D

11. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I did it to mine like 20 times. No problems. You'll be fine. Its not a medal detector, it's just the scanning thing. Or is that the medal detector. :eek:

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

It's an X-Ray scanner. You walk through the metal detector.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Where are the pics? I've been searching the setup thread for what seems like ages. I must see this pink keyboard. :cool:

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:D

[​IMG]

This is the one from before... my palm rests are now squeaky Mister Clean Magic Eraser clean now. :D

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That. Is. Awesome! I love it mkrishnan. :cool:

If I wasn't so obsessed with white, I'd have to do something similar. It looks very cool.

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

ROFL! That's got to be the Show 'n Tell of the Year.

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

They are testing for explosive residue.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

At our airport they would target you. They always pick the person LEAST likely to be a terrorist. My Grandpa was always picked for the "random" thorough check. He could hardly even walk! :mad:

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I always get pulled aside. :(

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems like they are always either screening every single non-white person or else going out of their way to only screen babies and the elderly. Who knew the concept of "random" could be so hard... you'd think this system was designed by Microsoft engineers! :eek: ;) :D

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Actually, Microsoft truly knows what "random" means. Sometimes Windows will work, and sometimes it won't.
    :eek: :p :D

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I know all about this. i had two lappys to carry home with me with one laptop bag. my lovely ibook and some sucky compaq...i still got love for the compaq so i didnt want it to get mangled in my bags so i stuff both of em in that laptop bag........but of course i had my ibook in a sleeve:D

Bless

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I know. In fact, last year I went to Vancouver and I got checked "randomly" while getting my baggage after I had already got off the plane. Got checked 3 times in 10 minutes. So did the Indian lady standing to my left, except she only got checked twice (as far as I knew). The white lady standing to my white never got checked once. Must be random. :rolleyes:

Actually, I made the mistake of arguing with the 3rd security person who bothered me, since I had just gotten checked by someone, and while that person was walking away, another security person walked up to me. He MUST have seen the other person walk away, right? :mad: I asked how random this process was when I had been checked 3 times, while the white lady beside me was never asked once. The man was embarrassed, but I think he was a bit defensive since I implied there was racism going on.

Anyway, laptops are safe if put through an xray machine. Not too confident about film though, regardless of what they tell you.

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

everytime i get in the airport im check checked....everytime. i dont mind though i just hate the shoes thing

Bless

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

They're X-Rays, no magnets involved.