Laptops power question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Solafaa, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I just got a 17" PB with the works (2GB RAM, 1.5 GHz and 128mb Video card), i got this because it will be my gaming laptop and work stuff + internet and other stuff. I have a 23" apple monitor (new modle) and i play games on it, my question is can i have the power cable pluged to the laptop while i play? i play for about 3 hours, surf the net and email for about 1 hour and dop other stuff for another 1-2 hours. The laptop is pluged for a long time, dose this effect my laptop or battery?

Any tips?

2. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Your laptop battery will last longer the more exersize it gets. I try to run mine down at least once a week if I find that I havent had it away from home much. That said, your battery also has a limited number of discharge cycles before it is likely to loose the ability to hold a charge.

long story short, Its fine to have youe powerbook plugged in for a long time, as long as you make sure your battery is exersized at other times.

Charlie

3. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Ok thanks.

Anyother question, how often should i change my battries?

4. acj macrumors 6502

Batteries have a finite number of charge/discharge cycles. Running it down to 50% and then charging it counts as half of one, running it all the way down and fully charging it counts as a full cycle. You'll likely notice shorter battery life after just 300 full cycles.

The very best thing for your battery if you plan to keep it plugged in for long periods of time and might not travel is to leave the battery out, and only charged to 50% capacity.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

5. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Just wondering...

What percent do you run your battery down to before you charge it back up?