Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The anticipated mobile game "Lara Croft GO" launches today on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone devices. Announced by Square Enix during the Electronic Entertainment Expo in June, the game takes the themes and characters of the Tomb Raider games and merges them with a more stylized look and turn-based controls of the "GO" series, which the company is calling a "celebration of our iconic franchises."

Lara-Croft-GO-2-1600x900-800x450.jpg

The second game in the "GO" series of games created by Square Enix's Montréal studio, Lara Croft GO follows in the footsteps of Hitman GO with a simplified approach to player movement that brings a board game-like feel to each player and enemy move.

Hitman GO saw players attempt to puzzle out the order in which to eliminate or avoid various guards to complete a level, or what the studio refers to as distilling the series down to the "Essence of Assassination." Now, Lara Croft GO presents users with the same move and counter-move structure of the previous game, but with a new Tomb Raider setting, new enemies, and over 75 puzzles to solve in the whole game, with a shifting focus on the "Essence of Adventure."

Lara Croft GO is a turn based puzzle-adventure set in a long-forgotten world. Explore the ruins of an ancient civilization, discover well-kept secrets and face deadly challenges as you uncover the myth of the Queen of Venom.

o Experience lush visuals and a captivating soundtrack
o Navigate using simple swipe-to-move controls
o Fight menacing enemies, overcome dangerous obstacles and escape deadly traps
o Solve more than 75 puzzles split into 5 chapters
o Collect ancient relics and unlock new outfits for Lara

Following the award-winning Hitman GO, Square Enix Montréal brings yet another beloved franchise to mobile with this unique take on the iconic heroine's adventures.
Lara Croft GO [Direct Link] is available for download on the App Store for $4.99. Notably, in apparent tandem with the new game's launch, Hitman GO [Direct Link] is discounted currently at $0.99.

Article Link: 'Lara Croft GO' Launches Today on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
IDK why, but the screenshot just makes me think of Portal 2. Might be the color scheme and shapes or something... like, there appears to be a big red button there. I just want to put a Weighted Storage Cube on it.

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
What a stunning ass even after 20 odd years. I hope my 4.99 includes a proper zoom function.

zzebi

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
It really reminds me of Another World. Very similar visual style, but in isometric 3D instead of 2D parallax. Looks great!

Reactions: AdamInKent

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
That's one not good game trailer.
I actually find it amazing! Music perfectly matches the zen-like, reduced graphics and gameplay. At least as far as the trailer (and also teaser some time ago) show(ed). But then, I am a huge Tomb Raider fanboy since playing TR III on my grape iMac G3 back in the last century… ;)

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
It really reminds me of Another World. Very similar visual style, but in isometric 3D instead of 2D parallax. Looks great!
Yes but this one is actually playable. Nice controls. The uncontrollability of Another World on the iPad just cannot be beaten.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.