'Large Screen iPod Touch Device' in Fall of 2009?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 30, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

TechCrunch claims to have heard from three independent sources that Apple will be releasing a "large screen iPod touch device" with a 7-9 inch screen. According to the site, one of their sources have actually seen and handled one of the prototypes.
    The new device is said to be compatible with the applications in the App Store and is expected to be released in the Fall of 2009.

While TechCrunch does not frequently report on original Apple rumors, the information is consistent with historically reliable sources that Apple was working on a mini-tablet or PDA-like device about 1.5x the size of the current iPhone.

Article Link: 'Large Screen iPod Touch Device' in Fall of 2009?

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors regular

So, if the app store is the deciding factor we're looking at a glorified iPhone/ iPod Touch.... Great.

4. macrumors member

5. macrumors 601

HiRez

I guess my question is how do you carry that and why is that better than a small laptop? It's too big for a pocket, you need to carry it laptop-style anyway, but it'll have a smaller screen than a laptop and probably no physical keyboard and less ports, so where's the advantage?

6. macrumors 6502

Solemony

That'd be nice..I'm thinking of getting one on my Birthday next year..

7. Guest

Would be nice, maybe this is their answer to the netbook / net-tablet. Lets hope that it has some USB ports. I would really like one with OS X, that I can run iwork and a few other apps on.

8. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Bingo. The ONLY point in a larger touchscreen device comes with the 13.3" MacTablet (like the one in my sig).

Runs full OS X, slab format, full multitouch interface... It's like a ModBook, only far better.

9. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seems the iPod Touch would be bordering on a netbook. Now, I don't tend to wear pants with pockets 7" wide, but I've seen kids with pants that could carry a small army in the ass. Maybe that's the target demographic.

10. macrumors newbie

This would be an sys admin's dream, saying it could run OS X or at least a few key apps. Managing networking and systems on an iphone is borderline impossible. Doing it on my airbook is by far the best solution to date, but something smaller and versatile would be amazing. 7-9" tablet + touch screen + stylus ability + terminal = sold for me

11. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Sounds like MacWorld is going to better than just Phill Schiller explaining (making excuses) about why Steve himself couldn't be there. :D

12. macrumors regular

MacGohil

13. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Apple Tablet Not Nano (ATNN) confirmed?

Rocketman

14. macrumors 601

Awesome, can't wait for this.

One of the advantages of having this for me is to read ebooks, especially PDFs and email/web browsing around the house or in car/plane/subway/trains without taking out my 17" mbp.

With wireless, it could be used as a thin client as well, worth using for SysAdmins like me who brings laptop to clients all around the building.

Of course the biggest problem is going to be the battery, as long as it is more than 3 hours it should be an awesome thin client.

15. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Satellite convo where Steve says either "good job", or better yet, "one more thing"!!

Rocketman

16. macrumors member

Yes please

I have no need of this. I probably couldn't afford it safely. I already have an iPod Touch and a PowerBook.

Yet I feel strangely drawn to it, like a moth to a lightbulb. WOULD BUY

17. macrumors regular

that just means ur a fanboy haha
    don't worry i was thinking the same thing lol
    this is what went through my mind: 'hmmm tablet huh? that's kinda useless....i'd so much prefer a netbook with a keyboard and a touchscreen, now that i would actually use....but hey i'd probably buy one anyway...just coz it'd be cool :)

18. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes it would.

Much easier than carrying around a laptop.

Agree. As electronic magazines and publications become more popular, this would be an added benefit.

I think that is a common trait of many on MR. :D

19. macrumors member

Must not Want, must not want.........me want, me want. :apple:

20. macrumors 6502a

So analysts say there will be an iPhone Nano and now an iPod Touch Mega in addition to the regular iPhone/Touch. So much for hitting the same home run over and over.:rolleyes:

And a bigger Touch just to run App Store apps isn't really useful. It'll have to run full OS X and regular apps, but then there is the touch interface issue.

21. JAQ
    macrumors 6502

"Prototype" does not equal "Future Product".

Apple (and Dell and HP and so on) have a lot of things they are working on that will never be fully developed and released as products.

22. macrumors member

cash4chaos

Just what I want !

My friend and I were talking about this kind of device today !
    Hope it has usb to load pictures on . And wouldn't it be cool if it had a sim card 3g slot !!!! :apple::D

23. Guest

Other than gaming... If it is thin enough, think of people who could use it in a portfolio. Imagine OS X (inkwell / handwriting recognition), and if it has enough ram and storage; imagine having all your docs in a mini portfolio rather than an entire laptop bag. great for sales people on the go.

Sorry, did not have time for a proper photoshop.

then couple that with the slide in docking patent that led to people producing this mockup (yes I googled this one)

[​IMG]

Sound like a winner to me. If I had that and my livescribe pulse smart pen, who would need regular paper anymore.

Then I would have this and everything I need on the road. No more laptop bag.

just imagine having this tucked into a little journal sized portfolio (thus the need for 1 or 2 USB ports - for the cradle and loading my apps).

[​IMG]

Can someone with time and who is good with photoshop take my attached thumbnail of the tablet in a journal and hook it to the liverscribe pulse pen? this would give you what I mean.

24. macrumors 68020

brad.c

That would fill the future gadget hole that will coincide with the end of my iPod's AppleCare coverage (and inevitable breakage forthwith), and the economic recovery in 2010 that I'll need to justify another purchase.

25. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

They may have built a prototype but it's highly unlikely this is going to become a product any time soon.