Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ac4155

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
Hi all,

I'll be getting a MacBook air 13" soon and I'm thinking of getting a Wenger 16" pillar backpack, though it recommender for 15" laptops from what I rather. I'll also be carrying my iPad, books and other general things in it.

I just wonder what peoples experiences are for having a back pack which is larger than the laptop?

Thanks,
AC

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Hi all,

I'll be getting a MacBook air 13" soon and I'm thinking of getting a Wenger 16" pillar backpack, though it recommender for 15" laptops from what I rather. I'll also be carrying my iPad, books and other general things in it.

I just wonder what peoples experiences are for having a back pack which is larger than the laptop?

Thanks,
AC

I have an Incase backpack, the one that holds a 17" laptop. I have an iPad and a MBA 11". I put both my MBA and iPad in a small sleeve and slide the laptop into the laptop pouch and then my iPad in the smaller pouch. Works perfectly in my opinion.

I would recommend getting a small sleeve for your MBA for added protection. Even though it may be in a separate place than your books and supplies, I noticed that books actually bent my MBP frame from the weight of them Especially with the air being so thin, better safe than sorry.

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Hi all,

Thanks,
AC

If you are going to do that, I would probably get a sleeve or smaller slip-case for your Air and then place that inside the backpack.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
if the backpack already has a well padded compartment for it, ur good to go. If not, as others have suggested, probably a separate sleeve, this is regardless whether the backpack is larger or perfectly-fit.

"books bend the mba..." that's scary. I'd probably add some sort of extra rigid, but lightweight backing of some sort to it in which case.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I use a Swiss Gear backpack for my Air...it is designed for a 15" laptop. I use an Incipio sleeve for it, and it fits pretty well, without a whole lot of wiggle room. It hasn't gotten bent because of the books yet, but i also try to keep it upright when setting it down so that the entire weight of the books aren't on top of my Air. My backpack has a dedicated iPad holder, so that is where my iPad goes.

Here is the link to my backpack in case you were wondering.

And here is a link to my sleeve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.