Larger Fonts on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kelvinq, Jan 10, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just purchased a 24" iMac. This is my first Apple machine.

How do I make the text fonts look bigger while still retaining the 1920x1200 resolution?

Thanks for helping make my switching curve gentler. :)

KQ

2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Quite a few apps have minimum font size settings, and quite a few do Command-Plus/Minus to zoom and reduce the screen size in the window.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Sun Baked. I'm trying that now but I'm also looking for an function that allows me to enlarge all fonts within in the screen - the menu bar text, the icon text and the text within the application too.

4. macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I had this problem when I first got my 24" iMac. Dont worry, stick with it and you will get used to it...

5. macrumors newbie

Apparently you can't do just that. It's one-size-fits-all for OS X, which is odd because it's such an ovious accessibility issue. :confused:

6. macrumors 6502

your best bet is going to be to just drop the resolution a notch.

7. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That's the problem, while you can increase the font sizes and icon sizes in most everything else on the machine and finder.

Thong darn menu bars, menus, and such, still have that small font size.

You'd think it would be an obvious part of the Universal Access system preference panel. Hey, hard to see person, lets make it easier by going to a size 16-18 font size.

8. macrumors 65816

cherry su

well if you have quartz debug installed (from dev tools), you can do resolution independence and increase all the fonts

see screenshot

Attached Files:

9. macrumors newbie

Reduce resolution

For eyes that have been around for more than a half century, smaller fonts are not an option. Easy solution...lower the resolution. Try... System Preferences...Displays...1344x756. Keep the Brightness high.

10. macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

This issue arises all the time, and I'm wondering if anybody has a solution to this Large Fonts issue, yet?

What older people are after is an equivalent to the Microsoft Windows "Large Fonts" setting, whereby all fonts including menu bars and Finder labels are automatically increased by a certain percentage, while retaining the optimum resolution.

2560x1440 is my optimum resolution. To get the text to default to what'd be a perfect size, I'd have to set the resolution to 1600x900.

There's no point in owning an excellent high resolution monitor if we have to fuzz up the fonts in order to be able to see what we are doing.

This is an obvious, long term accessibility issue and I'm at a loss to understand why Apple, an otherwise extremely customer oriented company, have not introduced an easy way for us to do this as the operating system has progressed through the various versions.