Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I'm about to buy my first iMac. I understand how technology changes quite frequently but.....

What are the chances of Apple releasing a new iMac with a larger screen (22"+) in the near future? I"d *hate* to buy an iMac with a 20" monitor and find out a day or two later that Apple is releasing a larger one.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
One never knows - ask people who bought 17" iMacs a few days before the 20" ones were announced - but I don't see it happening soon, as it would push the imac into prosumer pricing levels.

Of course, I didn't see the 20" one coming a few years ago, so don't listen to me....

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
The 20" really is a very good size regardless. If you do buy it, just enjoy it. They're awesome.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
Heck I think 17 inch is awesome. also great because it is so light. I can tke it anywhere and present iMovies. I really classify it as Portable Desktop, 15#s. Lol. So light.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
jsw said:
One never knows - ask people who bought 17" iMacs a few days before the 20" ones were announced - but I don't see it happening soon, as it would push the imac into prosumer pricing levels.

Of course, I didn't see the 20" one coming a few years ago, so don't listen to me....
Yeah, I'm hurting from that one now. I love my G4, but if I waited for a couple of months I could have had 3X the HD space, a 20" screen, but most importantly, and the main reason this hurts, USB 2.0

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
People have been discussing if Apple would release a huge iMac for the 30th anniversary...which is a joke...maybe...

I don't think they will bump up screen sizes this year, sometime next year when new Cinema Displays come out (which makes sense). 20 inch is enough for me, though I only have a 17 incher.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I doubt that Apple will release a larger iMac...but no one can be sure. If you need more screen size, you could always buy an external ACD or other LCD. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.