Larger LCD for iMac

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by tomgreever, Jan 7, 2002.

1. tomgreever macrumors member

Jul 15, 2001
    Nashville, TN USA
    Has anyone else considered the idea that it should be relativley easy to fit a larger LCD on the new iMac. I'm actually surprised that Apple didn't offer a 17" option.

Granted, it would make the unit more expensive... But this iMac doesn't have the problem that the previous form factors had... because the display is mostly separated from the rest of the machine. You wouldn't have to redesign the whole computer to have a lrager display.

During the keynote, Steve kept saying, "The number one request for the new iMac was ______. And we said yes." Yet, I think one of the big requests was for a 17" display... and that wasn't mentioned.

I dunno, maybe that'll come with new iMac 2.0... I am seriously considering buying the high end model... great specs at a better price: but the 15" LCD is the only thing that holds me back.

I know, I know... Jobs said that the display has a viewable area of a 17"... but still, I prefer bigger monitors.

Anyone else agree?
  2. tomgreever thread starter macrumors member

Jul 15, 2001
    Nashville, TN USA
  3. phaedrus Guest

I couldn't agree more. Why no 17" monitor option? Perhaps in the future. And for that matter, why aren't the monitors interchangeable? Why can't you just plug your choice of Apple LCD's right into that swing-arm? The new imac looks like it's monitor is begging to be detached. If Apple had implemented this capability into the new imac's design, it would have taken one solid step towards a future device like the "iwalk." I can't help noticing that the base of the imac looks like a big airport base station.
  4. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001

The main reason not to provide options (I think) is to distinguish from the consumer and pro lines.

I know, I know... the new iMac throws that a bit for a loop for the next few months while we wait for PowerMac updates....

but iMacs are not expandable, and you can't choose a monitor - I don't think by accident.

It's for consumers...

If the iMac came with some expansion options and monitor selections, it would steal away more Pro sales...

5. phaedrus Guest

After pondering it, I think you're absolutely correct. They don't want to cannabilize the pro machines. I wonder if this is also why they are apparantly only offering video-mirroring on the new imac, rather than access to a large desktop distributed across two monitors? I mean, mirroring is lame--who uses it? Nevertheless, the more I look at the new imac and imagine the possibilities of that swing-arm tethered LCD, the more revolutionary I think the thing is. I can imagine imacs sitting on breakfast tables across the USA, substituting for the old morning paper. I can see pop viewing the morning news on or while drinking his coffee. Thanks to that 180 degree swing-arm he could also share a news story with mom or junior sitting on the other side of the table. And when breakfast was served he could simply push the screen out of the way or to the side to make room for a plate of eggs and bacon. I think this imac will see places in the house that no PC has ever seen--"going where no PC has gone before"??
  6. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001

The only prob is it still has wires/cords.... after looking at it some more- I really think Apple missed an opportunity to offer a wireless keyboard/mouse... it would really clean up the iMac's look... :)

7. phaedrus Guest

ditto . . . notice how most of the pics Apple features of the new imac are sans keyboard & mouse. Perhaps Apple's marketing folks know that these corded peripherals clutter up what they are touting as a clutter-free device.
  8. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001

I predict the iBook will be phased into 14" before long, and it hasn't been out a year. The iMac may soon see a screen upgrade on the high end models.

PS - The wireless keyboard/mouse is:
    1. Too assuming. Not everyone wants to replace batteries.
    2. Cutting out aftermarket companies like Logitech, who make a great wireless optical mouse (I use it & love it).
  9. PB180 macrumors newbie

Jan 7, 2002
    Wireless components have an additional problem other than power source:
    ** In a school setting (a popular place for iMacs), a wireless keyboard and mouse may be too difficult to keep track of.
    ** The USB variety can be easily locked up to the main chain around the computer.

BTW, I noticed a laptop style security port on the back of the new iMac, so it doesn't have to locked using the handle anymore.
  10. Phaedrus Guest

The two posts above have caused me to reconsider. Perhaps it is sage that Apple didn't do too much too quickly (per wireless peripherals). As the posts above witness, Apple has shown respect to the "ecology" of different user environments in which their imacs flourish. When introducing an innovation of the magnitude of the new form factor of the imac, perhaps it is best to allow all other things to remain as they are. As pointed out in one of the posts above, this does not preclude Apple from introducing further innovations in the future, even in the near future.
  11. whitegold macrumors member

Oct 3, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia

Personal Opinion:

15 inch is big enough for the home consumer. Just not for me. Even taking into account the larger ACTUAL size of a LCD, it's still, I think, slightly smaller. But more important than screen size is resolution.

1024x768 is enough for home users. A nice sweet spot actually. But not enough for me, as I'm a graphic designer/programmer.

Then again, the iMac isn't made for people with those needs. How do you tell? Well.. if you know a specific problem with it, it's probably not made for you!

"Well, I like the (old) iMac, and I'd really like to get one, but feel that I'll be restricted by difficulties in upgrading, low resolution display and moderately underpowered cpu." Well, in that case, the iMac ain't for you!

Back to the point, though, I would say bunging a 17 inch on here would be POSSIBLE. My main concern (aside from cost) would be weight. You would probably end up with your expensive Luxo Lamp drooping quite badly.

On the issue of wireless, I have to agree with all points here! An opportunity missed, but personally the first thing I'd do is invest in a logitech cordless desktop and paint it white!

Put putting it in as a standard is a little premature, I think. Then again I think putting LCD screens is premature, so shows what I know...

12. Falleron macrumors 68000

Nov 22, 2001
    It depend on whether the base is heavy enough to support a larger monitor, we dont want it toppling over. I would have thought apple would have planned for this!
  13. Maxx Guest

Intended market

I am also surprised they did not offer a larger display for the new imac, but I think they will be good for the people(like my grandparents) that just want a computer so they can keep in touch with e-mail, and do simple things and don't need a larger display. As for me I am far beyond going back to a 15 or even 17 inch monitor. I can't imagine playing a game or even using a wordprocess on something that small...
  14. tcolling macrumors member

Dec 19, 2001
    I believe, when people were requesting a 17" monitor, it is because the "current" iMac had only a 15" CRT. Well, a 15" LCD is the same size as a 17" CRT. We got exactly what we asked for.

On some of the other threads, there seems to be a lot of iMac2 bashing because it doesn't have this or that, but what I remember from the days leading up to the show the requests for the new iMac were overwhelmingly -

G4 processor
    LCD display
    Superdrive option

Didn't we get exactly what we wanted? And for $1800! I thik that's pretty darn incredible.

I also think Steve Jobs is smarter than all of us. He is not going to let this company run into the ground because there are no towers. He will either lower the prices on the towers for the interim, come out with new technology relatively quickly (on the timetable that makes sense for Apple) or both.

My question to people who say they need to buy a new desktop now (as in, today) is why? If you are a professional that uses Photoshop, which absolutely is the most important application for Apple machines, what's the huge rush for? Your competitors are using the same machines you are. Obviously there are cross platform versions of software in all fields, but (I'm guessing) that administration costs (read: downtime, maintenance) would defeat any speed advantage that a Windows based machine would have over the current Apple lineup.

These questions are half serious / half retorical. If anyone has a more factual response with some real experience, please post it.

Thanks for listening.
  15. balliet macrumors member

Dec 21, 2001
    I want a new mac now because I'm buying my first mac. I've been using PCs for years and finally decided to switch. If I had a nice G4 now I'd gladly keep it and hold out for a G5, but I've got nothing :( Now I have to decide between waiting even longer and just buying a new imac.
  16. phantommaul macrumors member

Jan 8, 2002
    17" for neo iMac

i definetly agree pal but i think apple is gonna make the 17" model after introducing g5 so it wont effect the sales of the pro line tower products

ps:the display issue is too a stepback feature from buying the new mac (Ok 17 compared to CRT but who doesnt want 19" compared to CRT with the 17" LCD :))) i have worked in some apple expo and i really liked using 17" LCD) :)
  17. phantommaul macrumors member

Jan 8, 2002
    no no no do not wait

dont use the waiting strategy pal it sucks and it neverd end you will wait for years and still but nothing so if 15" is ok for you go for a superdrive 800 G4 mac :)
  18. dolstein macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2002
    I think we'll probably have to wait at least two years before we get an iMac with a 17" screen, and when it's introduced, it will probably be across the board. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an iMac SE before then.

But I wouldn't expect the monitor to get much bigger than 17" -- the iMacs have always had a compact design, so that limits the size of the monitor.
  19. nubneck macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2001
    iMac's screen

I actually had thought of the same thing, regarding the screen. Maybe in the future, this will become an option for the iMacs. For now though, it looks like the screen is larger than that of the old iMac, and although I just bought a new iBook, I want one of these things too! I just think the design is beautiful, clean and simple. Also, being able to pivot the display is a big plus, in my opinion.

It sounds like some people are skeptical about the new design (I'm not sure why). But, I have a feeling that after it sits in the public eye for a while, this design is going to appear very "normal", attractive, and also very logical and obvious with respect to versatility and saving desk space.
  20. rastalin94 macrumors member

Jan 9, 2002
    The size of the screen is the only problem I have with the new iMac. But if it had a 17" screen it would cost over $2000, and that would be took much for an iMac. I would expect that their will be a 17" option in the future. I plan on buying a Mac by the end of the year so I really hope that option is out by than. Besides that I think the iMac is a perfect consumer electronic device :)