Larger/New iPod Nano

Discussion in 'iPod' started by pknz, Sep 12, 2005.

1. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    Okay, I love the Nano, looks great and all but I'm not keen on buying one until around December/January (when I have some dosh to chuck at it), but I'm not keen on buying a 4GB one, my playlist at 927 songs is 4.53GB and I want a bit of room to breathe. Maybe a 6 or 8GB.

So, when do you suppose on a updated Nano line or new larger Nano?

I have been out of the iPod 'zone' how often do iPods get refreshes?

PS. Sorry to all the people who I have now p*$$ed off about asking about a new Nano when this ones been released for less than a week.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    It a completely new line so it's very difficult to say when it'll be updated without just blatantly speculating. Wait until closer to your purchase time and ask again as to whether anyone thinks they'll be updated soon. :)
  3. zv470 macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2004
    New Zealand
    Speculation... maybe updates at MacWorld San Francisco, or some time in March?

I'm waiting for a iPod Video... so I bought a 1GB iPod shuffle... it's great for the meantime. :) hmm, maybe MWSF will bring price drops and end 1st quarter 2006 a second generation nano? Dunno.

Used to own a 3rd generation iPod 40GB... I'm really happy with my shuffle, good battery and simple interface. :) I'm tempted to buy a nano... but I better wait a year at least before then. Otherwise... I'll be buying a new iPod every 6 months. :eek:
  4. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    I think it'd be logical to assume that since the nano is replacing the mini, the update schedule will be similar to the mini's. On the other hand, any capacity increases will definitely depend on the availability of cheap, high capacity flash ram.
  5. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    How frequent were Mini's refreshes?

I think the availability of flash RAM will be alright, with Apple having a contract with Samsung, and Samsungs new chips.

6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    i don't think it'll be updated that soon as its just far as i think it will be somewhere next if you can really wait and i mean really, then wait...or else, just get an iPod 20G...
  7. cube macrumors G4

May 10, 2004
    Nanos with increased (doubled) capacity not before second half 2006.
  8. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    Give it at least 6 months and we should have 4gb and 6gb Nano's available, possibly even 6gb and 8gb, Remember the iPod mini only had one revision the rev B which came about 6 months after the original mini and had bumped storage (6gb) and a better battery life,

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Just my speculation, but 6-9 months and I think we will see 4 and 8gb nano's. The 4gb will probably be around forever, just like the 20gb is going to be, because I think Apple has found it to be a "sweet spot" with consumers. It's been a big success with the mini, and the 5gb iPods (still "1000 songs") were big hits, if I recall.

So $199 4gb and $249 8gb sometime in the March - June range of 2006 is where my money is at.
  10. cube macrumors G4

May 10, 2004
    There won't be nanos bigger than 4 GB before H2 2006 because that's when the first 16Gb chips will be in full production.