larger view in Warcraft III?

Discussion in 'Games' started by cb911, Jun 10, 2006.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

I've just started playing Warcraft III, after having it sitting around here for a few years. :eek:

I've also got a nice screen that displays all sorts of nice imagery at 1920x1200. The thing with Warcraft that annoys me is that for this massive screen, I can still see only a small portion of the map at one time. I see the same amount as I would if I was using a 17" screen @ 1280x1024.

Is there any way to increase the viewable area of the map? Any 'hacks' or other 'tips'.

Hopefully you can all understand what I'm talking about...

And while I'm talking about Warcraft III, is there anyway to assign a hotkey to groups of units? Like in C&C: Generals - you can select a group of units and I think it's "ctrl + 1" - so then you would just have to press "1" to reselect those units. Anything like that in Warcraft III?

Cheers. :)

2. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Well, it's kinda like that... except... no, it's exactly like that. ;) Same thing. You can even assign buildings to hotkeys so if you're in a battle somewhere and need to train new units you can just hit the hotkey and then start training more units, no need to scroll down to your base.

Also, the "F" keys are automatically assigned to your heros.

As for the screen size, I think you're stuck with what you have. Although I could be wrong so hopefully someone else that knows for certain will chime in.

3. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

hmm... okay then.

and can i ask another question - how do i assign a hotkey to a group of units or building? :eek:

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Many custom maps have an ability to zoom out, using commands like -zoomout, -z, or the escape key. Unfortunately, this cannot be done in the normal game.

To set a hotkey to a group of units, select the units and hit ctrl+1, ctrl+2, etc, and 1, 2, etc respectively will become the hotkeys, which sounds exactly like how you described C&C. Did you not try this? I assure you, it works.

There are maphacks which reveal the entire map for WC3 that become available from time to time, but Blizzard is actually known to ban accounts by the hundreds for this. I don't think this is what you were talking about, though.

5. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

hrm... strange. i did try the 'ctrl + 1' etc. and it didn't work?? well i'll try it again. could have sworn i did try it...

and no, i wasn't talking about any maphacks like that. i was just wondering if there was a 'hack' for a config file that would allow me to see a greater area of the map on my screen. with the current way it displays the map, and also playing using a 24" screen - it just looks like i'm zoomed in so much. well, if that's just the way it is i guess i'll have to deal with it.