Largest HD Video Screen in the US

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G4scott, Aug 9, 2006.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Construction on the largest HD video screen in the US and collegiate sports, is almost complete. I've been chronicling the construction of this beast dubbed "Godzillatron" by a fan message board. The video portion of the screen is 134 feet wide and 55 feet tall, with a resolution of 2064 x 848, making it capable of displaying 720p HD video.

More info.

I don't know whether or not replays will be in HD this season, due to the production contracts already binding, and the fact that it's so close to football season, but by next year, we should have the cameras and production equipment in place.

I want to find the DVI port so I can hook my PowerBook, or even an xbox up to this thing. It'd be a good way to get recruits :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Wow...I don't know what to say, looking forward to when they do close ups of the cheerleaders.:D

3. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

That is one mighty fine screen. Would look good in my living room :D

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

how is a 135X55 foot television only capable of 720p. comeon where is the 1080 :p :D

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

So true eva.... for the size of the screen why not push the 1080i .. the 720p is so 90's .. ;) ;)

6. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

7. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm waiting for them to turn this thing on to get an idea of the resolution. Something tells me that it's going to look fine. The actual resolution is higher than the 720p spec, which leads me to believe they'll put the score and stats at the bottom, the 720p video centered at the top, and ads to the side of the video.

The great thing about it is that they can use the whole screen for video if they chose to. Of course, they could also do full-screen ads. :(

8. mulze22 macrumors regular

My guess is they are getting that because football won the National Championship.

9. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Now THAT's a screen I could watch some fine hockey on...

But seriously. Why exactly do they need it to be high definition? Doesn't the difference between SD and HD become nearly indiscernible after standing 10-20 feet away? People would be a lot further in this case.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Wait till it's finished, it will be amazing. We've had the large screen here at Arkansas for many years. Only to be outdone by the Miami Dolphins and now third to you guys. Being able to watch replays as they happen is my favorite feature of the screen. When they first hooked up it up they were testing it out with Unreal Tourney and Bug's Life.

Specs: 107x30

jon

Attached Files:

11. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

That's mainly for TVs where the entire package is in a 40-50" package, and there are thousands of pixels per inch. This display has a 20mm dot pitch, so the pixels are obviously bigger, but from pretty much every seat in the stadium, the screen should look as detailed as the HDTV in their living room.