largest meteor shower of 21st century mid-november

Discussion in 'Community' started by clubmedia, Nov 7, 2002.

1. clubmedia macrumors regular

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I've never seen one of these, I only hear about how cool it was the next day.:( But now I 'm excited! I'll be seeing it for sure.:D

P-Worm

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Every year or so there's supposed to be s huge meteor shower in my part of the world, and every time I am dissapointed. I'd love to se a decent one...

4. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

This is great! I'll have to set up my lawn chairs in the 20-30 degree Fahrenheit temperatures...as long as it isn't cloudy (i.e. snowing) it'll be one awesome show.

Screw the full moon...:D
    It's always cool to see the streaks;)

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Is Taco Bell going to be placing a free taco target out for this one?

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Well last year was supposed to be the best ever. So where does it end? The answer never. Because they don't know for sure so every year for a few years could be the best ever.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one, it has great potential. But the last one it was cloudy around here, I really hope we get clear skies.......

D

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Last year a friend and I went camping up in the moutains to watch it. It was extremely cold but very much worth it. There was an unbelievable amount of meteors. The problem with this year is it's durring the week so I won't be able to get out of town to truly see it. Also it is snowing heavily in the mountains right now and by the time of the meteors shower will probably be unable to get into the hills to get out of the clouds and light skys.

9. zed macrumors 6502

the show last year was awesome. The best meteor shower I have ever seen happened about 10 or 12 years ago. I have no idea what it was called, I just remember the long trails all over the sky... it was great!

what is really odd... is that I saw a shooting star last night, and that was in the middle of the Baton Rouge, it must have been freakin' bright.

I will definitely be out for this one! :cool:

10. JamesDP macrumors member

We went out to Joshua Tree last year for it from about 1-3 in the morning. It was awesome. We had clear skies (which I'm definitely not used to anymore, living in Southern California) except for some clouds on the horizon to the west. Some of the meteors were amazing and left trails that lasted for almost a minute. All my non-astronomy geek friends who went with me were substantially impressed, and I was in awe the entire night. Hopefully I can get everyone to go again this year.

11. MisterBlack macrumors member

All I have to say is big bag of shrooms + cold weather camping in the olympics = bad ass meteor shower.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Uh huh. If your doing shrooms you don't need to leave the house to have a meteor show.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you. It should be a spectacular view for those that live away from city lights! :)

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Also in a place without clouds. We have gotten several inches of rain in the last few days and the moutains have a couple feet of snow and there is no end in site. Welcome to Oregon winters.

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

I haven't been able to see any one of these storms in person for at least three full years. Every single time something like this happens, including recent lunar eclipses, the weather always proceeds to disappoint me, and I always get pissed. :mad:^2

Someone explain the irony of such events...Three years, no dice, looking for a carreer with some interaction with Astronomy. :rolleyes:

[really huge font size] IF [/fontsize] the weather prevails, I'll try to catch as much as I can before I become sleepy. I usually go to bed at around 10PM, sometimes earlier. So I may have a reason to stay up late. :p

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Never seen a meteor shower, I guess this will be my 1st. I
    probably will forget about it though. I am not to interested in that
    kind of stuff. I used to be, but not anymore. I will try to check it
    out though.

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Looks like 2am peak will be the best time for us on the West coast, but the 8pm peak might be OK, too.

Methinks it's time for a trip out to the desert with the new digital camera. :D

Gotta record this one for posterity since it's the last biggie for 30 years or so.

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I can't believe some of you haven't seen a meteor shower. Have you not ever seen a meteor(shooting star). There are meteor showers of varying sizes year round. There is rarely a stray meteor entering the atmosphere that isn't a part of a larger group.

On the point of not being intersted in this sort of stuff. Give me an evening with my 10" telescope and I can have you hooked. I can show you things that will astonish you.

19. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

In Venezuela...

We are gonna get a shower of bullets in mid november is the political situation continues like this. Every body wants the resignation of the president, 85% of the population is against the president, even the military. But the president doesn't want to resign and he developed a parallel army made by civilians. So, we are expecting a civil war in mid november.

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: In Venezuela...

Please start a new thread so we can discuss this.

I'm sorry to hear about the war I'm sure things will work out for the better. Good luck to all of you.

21. JamesDP macrumors member

I'm going camping in Baja this weekend near Ensenada and the skies are pretty dark down there. Can't wait :D

Wish I had a telescope to bring with to look at the other assorted objects up there, but I have to settle for my binocs (and my iBook running Starry Night :D) until I can afford a scope.

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Baja should be a great place, if you don't get any clouds. I'm really hoping I'll get a good viewing or two.

If the weather is nice and clear, I might even bring out my camera and tripod and try and capture a few images on film - most likely I'll end up just wasting some film, but who knows?

Any suggestions on film speed? Should I go for 800 or 400? Anyone ever do BW instead of color?

D