Largest Shopping Center EVAR!

Discussion in 'Community' started by efoto, May 25, 2005.

1. efoto macrumors 68030

The remainder of the article can be had here. This is completely insane. Kind of neat with the 'theme park' idea and all of the worldly wonders spliced in, but still, insane! :eek:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Because the world needed a mongrel shopping complex... :rolleyes:

What will these crazy Chinese think of next? How about a really big wall to keep the bargain hunters under control?

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I can't complain. I live in Minnesota, and I pass the "Mall of America" every day on my way home from work (I take a seperate way to work). Our mall has what is called "Camp Snoopy" which has a water ride, 2 roller coasters, and many other thrill rides, in the center of the mall.

4. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

I have never been to the Mall of America (live in Michigan) and honestly have no intent of ever going. I don't mind people in general, but that many I think is too many for my liking. I get nervous in over-populated places like that, always looking over my shoulder in a weird "is he gonna stab me in the back?" sort of paranoia. Anyway, let the Chinese have some publicity, the US has plenty of its own and losing the media spotlight even for an hour does us some good I think.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't like large crowds either. So neither mall would be appealing to me.

The Chinese have a large population, so more power to them. They seem to have a fascination for the West, at least with the design of the mall

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Did the NY Times get rid of their ridiculous sign in to view articles?

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So all that money is used to build a mall....think of what they could have used it for.

Very sad.....

D

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The U.S. is making a bad impression on China...malls. *sigh* :rolleyes:

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

what is this world coming to? Malls, my dear....

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

well, we will prob. see a huge apple store their.

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

ROFLMAO!!!
    but anyway, w00t! i love malls and more malls=more awesome

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I wonder how it compares to West Edmonton Mall, the current largest mall in the world.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I always thought the Mall of America was the biggest in the world until I read this article. I thought the whole point of the Mall of America, when it was built, was to beat the Canuckers and have the biggest mall in the world. No way America would make a modest effort and make a mall that was slightly smaller than West Edmonton when they could build the biggest and most hideous. That sounds more believable. ;)

Was there an addition made to the West Edmonton Mall?

Also, I love shopping in outside shops. Its one of the appeals of shopping in cities like London. :)

14. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't think so as sometimes I am still prompted to signin to view an article if I enter by way of the homepage.

I signed up for RSS feeds from NYT however, for various different interests, and all I did was RSS this article, then link the URL into the post here on MR. The link works for me, I assume for you all too since no 'broken link' posts have appeared.

So to sum, no, the signin is still there, but yes, you can avoid it by using RSS (at least seemingly).

15. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

I was under the impression that the Mall of America was also the largest mall in the world to date. It seems odd that America would pass up an oppurtunity to be the biggest/best/loudest/most prominant at something when it could have easily added two or three more stories, or widened it by a few square miles :p

Edit: Mall of America was the biggest in the world before this new Chinese monster popped up. (was what I was trying to say. I thought it was bigger than West Edmonton)

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It feels good to be right. :cool:

I sorta wonder about the correctness of the "facts" of the article. I wonder how big this place really is? It doesn't look THAT big in the photos.

17. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Arizona will soon have the largest mall in the USA from what I remember. There are talks in regards to making the Mall Of America much larger. there is a HUGE vaacant lot next to the MOA that I believe is owned by the same corporation. Across the street from the MOA is a reasonable sized Ikea.

The Funny thing about the MOA, is the Minneapolis Metropolitian Airport wants them to "move" because the airport needs more land for larger terminals, and runways for this ever growing city.

It is a strange deal, and nobody really knows what is going on in Bloomington Minnesota anymore..

Lost in Minnesota

18. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

I don't understand the point of these giant malls. I went to west edmonton mall (many years ago) on a family trip, and I recall there being 2 or 3 of certain stores. Why do you need 3 HMV's or Club Monaco's in a single building?
    Has anyone been to either of these two giant malls (edmonton, minneapolis)? Is this still the case, and are there any smaller, shops also open?

19. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    giant malls are cool if you have hours to spend shopping and looking around, but they are pain where you just want to get a couple things from a select few stores.

20. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I don't agree

With the extra doors, and access points as compared to smaller malls. I can get in and out of the MOA much faster then Southdale (Nations first fully enclosed shopping mall that started the trend in the US History of Southdale ) in Edina Minnesota.

If you know the mall well, you can move around fast, and get in and out really quick.

21. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Sorry, MOA is not bigger than WEM. WEM is 5.3 million sq. ft and MOA is 4.2 million. According to the Guinness Book of Records, WEM is listed as the "largest shopping centre in the world" as well as having the "world's largest parking lot". I'm sure Guinness will update the book soon with one of these Chinese ones to dethrone WEM as the leader.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

http://www.bugmenot.com/

All "registration required to view" problems eliminated.