Larry Brown, the next Knicks coach?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Eevee, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The difference is that Detroit had good players as the Knicks have nobody to work with. At best Brown will get 3 years. It will take at least that long to make the Knicks competitive again.

3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Brown will go 3 years, I bet, with the Knicks. He may get them to the playoffs at the end of his 'tenure,' but he won't get close to a championship. Sorry, Knicks fans. Gotta be realistic. The Knicks have been the Titanic.... bailing water and moving the deck chairs around for the past couple of years... no quick fix to that disaster.

4. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

During those three years as Knicks coach, he could upgrade the team via trades and be competitive again (?).

Remember when he was the Clipper's coach. He made the team exciting to watch, and they made it to the first round of the playoffs.

We shall see if he does take the position, and if so, what happens next.

keysersoze, there is a way to fix the Knicks. They have too many overpaid players. Need to trade them away. :D

5. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

6. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Why? Almost every team he goes to, they got better. I guess I can understand your concerns since he recently has some health issues.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Larry Brown is the whore of basketball. Every couple of years he finds a new city. He has no loyalty. Its a shame that such a great basketball mind can't stay in one place for a while.

8. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

3 years? Hahahahaha.

Your dealing with Isiah Thomas! 5 years, 55 million total at the least.

9. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Maybe it's not him who has no loyalty, but the team. I remember when he was the coach for the Clippers, he tried so hard to stand up for the team. But frustrated with management, he left. But maybe you're right, he's not loyal at all.

10. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Nice!!!! Good point! :rolleyes:

11. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

he would have to feel pretty stupid if he coaches the knicks after his wife said that he would never coach for the knicks

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I wonder if Brown can coexist with Isiah, Wanna bet that Thomas becomes the unofficial head coach 2 years into Brown's contract. :rolleyes:

13. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

14. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Hopefully soon!!! Then he can start trading players.

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Yep, When. When is he going to want to go to another team? Probably in two years.

16. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Actually, I doubt Isiaih will still be with the Knicks by then.

17. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

Larry Brown likes helping a team grow. He is not good at coaching a team once they have grown the maximum amount. He gets bored. It's just like Phil Jackson has (until taking the laker job for next year) only coached teams that have the superstar power to win a championship. He's the icing coach. The ego soother. This is why i don't blame brown for all the jumping around. He truly acts as a basketball father for his players. How else can you explain Allen Iverson's, 1) growth into a really EFFECTIVE and not just talented player 2)Outright respect for Brown. Remember how goody goody he was when he saw that brown was coaching the Olympic team? He said all the right things and played his heart out when he got there.

The Pistons on paper before brown arrived did not have a good team. They were coached by rick carlisle and he motivated them to playoff intensity during the season so they overachieved, but they always bombed in the postseason. Brown somehow transformed them into a championship team. He took them all the way. Now he wants a new challenge.

As far as the Knicks potential goes - I put them in the playoffs next year.

Marbury is in the same position as chauncey billups was in pre-brown (although even more talented). He is a great competitor with great skills, but he is too good of a scorer for his own good and therefore takes matters into his hands too often, putting off his teammates. Chauncey learned to take control only in the most clutch situations, and other than that just take what came to him.

As far as the rest of the team - they are younger, more athletic and have more size. Once the knicks waive Allan Houston (which it seems like they probably will) they will have only three players over the age of 30 - Jerome Williams, Malik Rose and Penny. Tim Thomas, Marbury and Mo Taylor are the only guys over 25. That's a really really really young team and I believe it makes for the youngest team in knick history. Isiah has brought in a lot of players who are young and have potential. He has put them around a guy in Stephon Marbury who has the potential to be a leader and is probably a top 10 talent in the NBA.

Here's the eastern conference playoff picture:

1)Indiana
    2)Miami
    3) New Jersey
    4) Cleveland
    5) Detroit
    6) New York
    7) Chicago
    8) Milwaukee

The Nets vs Knicks rival will now be legit.

18. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

I believe I also said that they were the same team pre and post brown's arrival. My point was that Brown was the difference. He kept a team full of 1 dimensional type players in their roles. He put chauncey taking the clutch shots, rasheed playing the post, Ben crashing boards, doing the D, Tayshaun guarding their top swingman and rip doing the rest of the halfcourt scoring (with rasheed). You disturb the delicate balance of egos here and people start stepping out of their roles and doing things that they aren't as good at. Detroit is a team who's success is based on gritty, focused, gut it out basketball and as you saw flashes early last season, without focus they can fall apart. Taking Larry Brown is going to mess up their focus and they are going to slip.

I think they will still compete sometimes during the season and during the playoffs. Seeding isn't an indication of how i feel a team will perform in the playoffs. It's just i think indiana is way too good. This is going ot be their year. Their two stars are in the primes of their career. They are deep. They have attitude. they have a solid coach. And most importantly, I believe their defense will be second to none.

Believe me, as a knicks fan it hurts me to say that indiana is good, but they are very good. The cavs need to pick up a few more role players, but donyell marshall is very underrated, and larry hughes is on the brink of stardom. I still see detroit winning that 4/5 matchup and then losing to indiana. I also see the knicks being swept by the nets in the first round again.

19. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Is everyone forgetting about the Pistons picking up Sheed and McDyess?

20. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

What's your point? Pistons had them both last year.

maxterpiece , you are right about Brown. He will make a difference in the Knicks if he decides to join them and his health gets better.

21. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Now lets see if there will be any tradings for the new Larry Brown Knicks.

22. shane1 macrumors member

To all of you misguided Knicks fans saying "we'll be great once we trade, we'll be greate once we trade!" please pull your head out... um.. of the sand. That teams if loaded with some pretty untradeable contracts. Go back and look at what each of those guys are making and get back to me with some realistic trades that work under the cap. The Knicks are still far from being competitive, don't kid yourself.