Larry Ellison bought 70,000 shares of AAPL

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by pretentious, Nov 22, 2002.

1. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

See here at Forbes

So what do you think? Is this a posable apology of leaving the board? or do you think that it might be the beginning of him trying to take over Apple again?

Or does he just know something that we don't, and he is geting at the honey pot for nearly a cool Million before everyone finds out some kick-ass news of Apple's future.

2. szark macrumors 68030

szark

According to the article, he exercised options to get those shares.

So, it could just mean that he had to exercise them by a certain date, and it was getting close to the deadline.

3. Kid Red macrumors 65816

It'd be very hard to get a stock buy out as I'm sure between Steve and some others there would be no way to get a controling share.

4. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

As I understand it, Ellison and Jobs are friends, neighbors as a matter of fact. PArt of Ellison's parachute probably did include a dated options package.

On the other hand, now is a good time to buy apple stock (two weeks ago would have been even better.) Techs are on the upswing, apple is getting a lot of good press, the PC iPods are a killer for this christmass, even the New York Times mentions the iPod and surprisingly the airport as the best PC networking option. The stock is certian to gain a little, which at that volume is a lot, especially if he has good options, which he does.

Remember, a million to Ellison ain't that much, he pays more in capital gains every year, I garuntee.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Larry Ellison bought 70,000 shares of AAPL

i wanna think this would be insider trading. not sure thought, not my area. just my thoughts though.

iJon

6. BMWJ24 macrumors newbie

Any board members, large % shareholders, etc. have to report their trades to the sec so they can't take advantage of inside info.

7. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

Yeah, but if they are options he just bought, then they would have been at a set price, wouldn't they? So last week or this week wouldn't have mattered. They could be expiring though.

Did he buy the shares or just exercise the options, selling them for cash right away?

8. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

Most likely, Apple gave Ellison the option to buy 60,000 common by the end of the year at the deflated price of $11.50. In addtion they probably gave another option at 10,000(+) volume at $13.99. Logically, Ellison wants to buy when the stock price is at a high mark. On November 18, the high was basically at the open, around 16.20, and low near the close, at 15.65. He probably bought in the middle somewhere.

I think he saw the Nov. 6th ceiling (stock was trading at a high of 17.32) as a sign; he knew he had to buy at around this price. Everyone's been saying that Apple is valued @ around 17. He saw the stock hit 17, market sold short for the week, stock price dropped back down to around 15 (+). He saw stock at around 16+ a couple days later and took it.

He made a pretty penny on this one. Probably near the 300k mark (but we don't know what price he excersiced the option at so this number is a guesstamation).

Wish I had that option

:(

Chad4mac

9. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

10. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

300k might be "pocket change" unrealized profit for him know, but, say, in a couple of years (maybe even months, you never truly know) if the stock hits $25, the 300k in profits turn into nearly one million plus.

11. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

A few million would be pocket change to him. He was toying with the idea of buying a million dollar watch just cause it was a million dollars.

12. bluecell macrumors member

Steve Jobs and Larry Ellison are friends, but I think he also believes in the directions that Apple is taking. He does have insight into Apple's future.

13. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

OI POLOI!!!!

I'll be back in a minute... I've got to call my Broker... the timing is obviously right for something... and at under 15 a share, I've been thinking about ringing bells in time for Christmas... cash register bells ... CHA CHING!!!

:cool: