Laser-Etching the PowerBook

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by livingfortoday, Dec 6, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Now, I've seen a few people around that have laser-etched their MacBook Pros and Powerbooks, and was looking to do something similar to my PowerBook. I was wondering if anyone had advice on getting this done? Like, what sort of places should I call for this, and what kind of questions would I ask? Any warnings, or advice in general?

Thanks!

2. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

The engraving kiosk at my mall does a good job on laser etching. They say they will do anything such as laptops, mp3, and phones (anything that can fit under the etcher), but if something happens to it, it wont be their fault. -_-

Anyways, just go to your local mall or just look for a place that makes custom keychains and stuff that are laser engraved. Most likely their machine can laser etch anything as long as it can fit in it.

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Do you know if a place like that will do more than just select designs or lettering? I'd like to be able to bring in a drawing or design of my own to get put on the PowerBook.

4. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Every engraving place I've been to has a scanner with a PC running some app. The machine is always etching whatever was imported into the app. So I'm pretty sure you can ask them to scan your design. I've never asked for a custom image though to be etched.