Laser Hair Removal?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abulia, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Hiya. I'm contemplating this for a couple of locations on my body, but would like to hear some personal experiences if possible. I've done lots of research, so I'm up on the technology and pitfalls.

Also, if anyone would be willing to share price, that'd be appreciated as well. :)

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

If it's not permanent then why do it?

3. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Not a personal experience myself, but I have a friend that had it done to her underams and she loved it. It took her about five treatments for the hair to stop coming in, and now she loves having the smooth underarms with no fear of getting those tiny red shaving bumps. She's in Salt Lake and I think she paid between $1.5-2K for it and it had a lifetime (or at least a few years) guarantee.

Not sure if the research you did mentioned this, but I've heard it can potentially leave scars or marks if you have darker skin--in case that's an issue. That's why a couple of my other friends have opted for the more painful electrolisis.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've spent a lot of money on laser.

Definitely not guaranteed permanent in removal — as a technology it hasn't been around long enough for that claim.

FDA only guarantees 'permanent hair reduction'. In other words, it thins existing hairs and what's more only works well on dark ones. Burning and scabbing can be a risk in the hands of an inexperienced operator. It can also distort the follicle making later removal problematic.

Your best bet is a combination of electrolysis and laser. Electrolysis is guaranteed permanent, but find yourself a decent operator.

5. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Becuase it at least causes a dramatic (75%+) reduction in hair in most cases.

I'm fair skinned and don't go outside a lot, so I've been told by a professional that my prognosis is "good," and that my dark hair makes me a good candidate.

I really would like to hear personal experiences, as that covers the real world intagibles of hair removal.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In that case, I'll tell you about my scarring where the pigmentation was stripped from the skin and I'll also point out that I'm back with electrolysis.

This laser apparatus was being used in a hospital, no less.

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I am just saying that they are neither permanent, meaning hairs can and probably will come back after a few years and secondly it is not known what it really does to your skin as no long-term effects have been studied yet.

Go with electrolysis, find yourself a good operator as Blue said and spend the little bit more money for an experience that will satisfy you more, longer and is safer given a good operator.

8. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I had some laser treatments - did nothing, really. For a while I noticed that hair was growing slower, but after my guarantee ran out, and I haven't had a treatment in a while, I've noticed that things are back to normal. It also caused some skin discoloration (which eventually went away).

9. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Thanks for the feedback, all. Looks like I'll do some additional research.

10. mannix87 macrumors 6502

a lawyer friend of mine has a client who's suing the clinic she went to, they screwed up big time. she went there to have her legs treated (they were pretty nice to begin with), but after the process (w/c was excruciatingly painful fo some reason according to the client), her legs (from ankles to the thighs) sported zebra stripe- looking burns all over :eek: . it turns out she was not given a laser treatment but some intense pulse light alternative; whatever that is. and to think the clinic is (was) a very reputable one.:(