Laser Mice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Meyvn, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Is laser mousing the way of the future, or simply an added decadence no one needs? I own a 20 dollar optical that's smooth as silk when it comes to tracking. It doesn't skip a single pixel. Is the advantage of laser mice that you can track on glass? Isn't a higher DPI only important if you want smooth tracking? Logitech, Razer, Macally, everyone's jumping on board. Let's see you laser-mouse owners compare and weigh in.

2. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I have a MX1000 laser mouse and I use it on my glass desk, works perfictly and another advantage to me atleast is is doesnt give off a annoying bright red glow.

3. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Ahhhh...I wondered if I could use Laser mice on my glass desk? Everywhere I check seems to say "shiny Surface" but it never says "see through surface" - can anyone shed some illumination?

4. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I have a MX500 and got a glas desk (milk-glass) last week and the mouse didn't work. Right now I use a big envelope as a mousepad.

5. Megatron macrumors regular

What is the difference between a "laser mouse" and an "optical mouse" - I thought they were one and the same?

Does an "optical mouse" just use a beam of light and not a laser?

6. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I compared the performance of both Logitech V500 (optics) and MS Notebook Laser mouse (laser). Even though V500 is a good mouse, on certain surfaces (such as white colored desk surface and others) do not seem a good match for V500 as its tracking gets jumpy. On the contrary, MS laser mouse performs well on the same surface.

I wanted to buy Logistech's new notebook Laser mouse but it was not available at the retail stores.

I prefer laser mouse to optics mouse because laser is superior to optics in terms of tracking capabilities.

7. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

An optical mouse uses a LED while a laser mouse uses a laser. The laser allows the mouse to "See" more clearly and accurately.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

^^ yea what he said. Laser is better than optical but the price usually puts people off, that and the fact that most users don't need one. You could of course get an MX518 which gives you or another 'high performance' mice which gives you greater DPI for more accuracy (mainly used for gaming).

9. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

A laser mouse is meant to be more accurate. However I've owned a MX1000 and a Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical, and other than the cordless feature of the 1000, I prefer the dual optical. The MX1000 is simply too heavy. I've tried Logitech's new gaming laser mouse and it's much improved (significantly lighter), so I'd recommend that over the 1000.

10. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I have a MX1000. It's the best mouse I've ever used, it fits perfectly in my hand. If you're left handed though, forget about it.

11. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

i own an MX1000, have used an Apple Pro Mouse, Apple Mighty Mouse, Logitech MX500 and Microsoft Intellimouse and nothing compares to laser. Smooth tracking, the feel of this mouse is amazing, and since when is precision over-rated?

12. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I have to say that my MX1000 is the best mouse I have used. I like two kinds of mice. Small light ones for use with games (usually wired ones), and the MX1000 for everything else. I don't know if I could live without all the buttons, I am just so used to it now. I tried many bluetooth mice, and could not get over the slight lag issues I had.

Kimo

13. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i have the mx1000 laser mouse and love it. i have no idea whether it's the laser-ness i like about it, because it's wonderfully heavy, very smooth, has great buttons and a comfortable scroll wheel, and wirelessness is awesome. i think i'd like it even if had an optical sensor instead of laser, although i don't know whether the smoothness is impacted by the laser.

14. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I recently bought the Logitech G5 gaming mouse. I can say it is the best mouse I have ever used. You can even adjust the weight of the mouse with small metal disks that are provided to provide the right feel.

The downside is that you need usb overdrive to map all of the buttons as there is no Logitech driver for OSX.

aussie_geek

15. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I tried the MX1000 on a (milk) glass desk as well. Long story short it does not work on the smooth (top) surface but it works on the rough (bottom) surface. But obliviously that is not going to work real well!!

However I got myself a mouse pad and never looked back.

The Mx1000 is an incredible mouse and I only can highly recommend it.

16. Megatron macrumors regular

I'm really interested in the mx1000, but I don't like the idea of having yet another thing to plug in.

Are there any mice of this caliber that go well with a laptop? I.e. just a little usb stick instead of a huge dongle like the microsoft wireless mice have.

I know a lot of the "notebook" mice have this, but I prefer a full sized mouse.

17. kywee macrumors newbie

I am looking for a mouse for my PowerBook G4. The MX1000 sounds good, but I have one question.

I'm sure many of you are aware of the lag/sketchy mouse movement on macs. For example, if you move the mouse pointer slowly, it jumps and you cannot make accurate clicks like Windows. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you have experienced it then you will know what I mean.

So, I would just like to know if this mouse has that problem. I cannot stand it, which is why I use the scroll pad.

Any info is appreciated. TIA

18. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

No, it doesn't have that problem, but either of my Apple mice have that problem. What are your mouse settings in system preferences?

19. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Not sure if this is what you mean, but there is a problem that is specific to a select few Logitech mice that weren't designed to be used on Macs (the Mediaplay mouse, was one). The cursor would skip around or jump to the top or sides of the screens. It wasn't a problem with the Mac OS, it was a hardware problem fixed through drivers only available on Windows. Later hardware revisons fixed this problem entirely.

Otherwise, my mouse performance is the same in Windows as it is in Tiger.

20. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

i'm sure these mice are very good, I but i just don't see why a mouse should cost so much. if I wanted extreme precision in illustration of photoshop work I'd use my tablet, but as for a mouse? most optical ones are fine with me, I think i'd rate keyboard higher on the list of important things, but mouse? should cost 40 bucks max

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

There have been numerous deals at different retailers that allow for the MX1000 (AR-- after rebate) to be less than $40; some people have come across silly cashiers/phone customer service reps that allow for price matching and the lucky customers were able to get it for $25 + tax. :eek:

I just got the MX518. :D I don't do anything 'hardcore,' no real gaming and no 'real' Photoshopping... but I love my mouse anyway. And I spend so much time on the computer and using a mouse, why not invest a bit to be comfortable and happy? (I got mine for $39 shipped, no tax from Amazon.)

22. kywee macrumors newbie

Here are my settings: (click the picture to view a larger view)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. kywee macrumors newbie

It's as if my mouse has a delay to it. The only way you notice it is if you move the mouse really slow, like your trying to get to a small spot on the screen. It's like your dragging a wet cloth on the floor.

24. gizzard macrumors member

I recently got a Logitech G5 gaming mouse as well. Previously, I owned the dual optical (two optical sensors) and the MX500. The G5's tracking is as smooth, if not smoother, than the MX500. The overall shape is the same and the side grips are even better than before, but I miss the thumb button and page up/down buttons. The tracking technology in these new mice have gotten so good, that it will be hard for most users to notice (maybe twitch gamers?).

25. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Is that mouse even supported by OS X? I'm sure it works, but can you customize the buttons?