Laser printer for iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by silversalmon, Jan 29, 2007.

1. silversalmon macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2007
    What models of a multifunction laser printers (print/copy/scan), color or monochrome have you been using with your Imacs? Any models particularly good? Thanks!
  2. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Does it have to be a multifunction all-in-one thing?

If not I stongly recommend the Samsung B&W lasers, you can get them for like $40 at some places after rebates.

Getting multiple devices isn't all that bad, at least when one thing dies you won't be completely unable to work.
  3. silversalmon thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2007
    Thanks for the recommendation. I really would like to find a laser printer (color preferably) that also can copy and scan since the computer is also being used for business purposes. My main concern is that it seems that some models are rated as Mac compatible, but not all functions will work properly with Imacs.
  4. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    If you want color with a multifunction, we sell a lot of the HP Color Laserjet 2840 multifunction printers. They're a little pricey ($899), but you definitely get what you pay for. Just an FYI, if you want color laser with print, copy, scan, and fax you're going to pay a premium for it. If you dont need fax then you can get the HP Color Laserjet 2820 for about $699 which is the same printer as the 2840 with fax and a standard printer tray. It has a sheet feeder instead of a printer tray.

Both printers fully support Mac OS X. If it supports OS X, then it will support any Mac running OS X. Both printers also have ethernet ports on them for networking as well which is a very nice feature.,+fax&product_code=Q3950A#ABA&catLevel=2
  5. silversalmon thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2007
    Thanks for that recommendation - and the heads up about the cost. I don't care too much about fax, more about the ability to laser printer color, scan and fax. I'll check out the HP laserjets you suggested - I'm glad to know they are fully Mac supported. I'd heard from several people that HP's are more prone to issues with Mac compared to others, such as Canon and Epson.
  6. osxnewbe macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2006
    While its only a priner I've had an HP Color Laserjet 2600n since January of last year and have been real satisifed with it. I purchased an Epson scanner at the same time as well so all of my bases (except for the fax are covered).

The 2600n is down to around $300 and you can get a good scanner for around $100. I know you're looking for a multifunction printer but I thought i would throw that out....

HP support for OS X seems to be great... I haven't had any problems so far....
  7. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2006
    Honolulu, HI
    I love the support for Canon printers, awesome printing machines as well. Most other printers run Canon or Xerox engines, so I go with the original.
  8. silversalmon thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions - I would be tempted just to buy separate laser printers and scanners but I have a very limited amount of space left on the desk given the size of the imac 24 (definitely not complaining). Basically, just enough space for one machine so the multifunction seems like the way to go - just need to find a recommendation for a color laser multifunction that works well with the Imac! Thanks.