Laser Printer Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mikaelrules, May 24, 2006.

1. mikaelrules macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2004
    Right now I'm in the market for a $300-400ish laser printer. I've been planning to get something like the HP 1022n or HP 1320n until I found out that there are a few color printers such as the Samsung CLP 510N that can be had for a bit more, if not the same price as the HPs. The Samsung seems to be as fast as the monochrome lasers and can do color (obviously). While I do not really need color, it would be nice to have, especially if it's the same price I'll be paying for the mono. Now my question is, aside from the color laser's enormous size and weight, is there any catch in getting a color laser over the monochrome model of the same price?

P.S. Please limit the discussion to HP and Samsung models only as these are the two brands that have good product support where I live.
  2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Toner price, black quality, much slower speed just to name a few. If you want color though, it might be a worthwhile sacrifice. Text/black printing is still far superior to inkjet, even if entry color lasers are inferior to similarly-priced monochrome printers.
  3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I got a Color Laserjet 2600N for $249 on special from Office Depot, which is less than the cost of the toner cartridges. It's a good printer, although when printing colored text I can see where the colors are very marginally out of alignment. For what I want it's not a problem and it's actually better at feeding envelopes and labels than my Laserjet 6L.

For the same price on a mono laser you should get duplex printing, probably better longevity, and cheaper toner costs.