Laser Printer. PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wakerider017, Mar 3, 2007.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I see absolutely no reason why it won't work when Leopard comes out. HP is good about upgrading drivers and stuff.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Leopard will only be 64-bit on 64-bit hardware. On 32-bit hardware, it will be 32-bit. However, 32-bit software will run on 64-bit hardware.

We have a LaserJet 2600n in my department. It communicates with our computers over Ethernet. It works. However, it uses some relatively new HP proprietary protocol. I had to download and install a new HP driver for my Mac. Several of the Windows computers are not yet setup to communicate with it.

My recommendation is to get a standard PostScript/PostScript clone printer with a RJ45 (Ethernet) port. Irrespective of the future support plans of the printer's vendor, you will always be able to communicate with your printer if your OS has a PostScript (aka LaserWriter) print driver.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Just FYI, I've got 2 of these HP 2600n. Great Printers.
    But I've got 2 20in iMacs running Tiger and they wont connect to the printers with regular USB. They only work when connected by ethernet. Its a network printer so it kinda makes sense. But my old tipowerbook running PANTHER connects via usb fine. These printers are nice, but they are just a spet below plug-n-play. Some assembly required if you know what i mean. :)

5. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Cool!

I ended up buying it!

So to setup do I need to put the CD in each computer (I have 1 mac and a bunch of PC's)

Couldn't find the printer in Ctrl panel/printer on my PC.

Connected to it fine over firefox with IP.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

General rule of thumb is never to install the drivers off a bundled CD, always download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's site.

7. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I got it all setup with my Mac and PC's. (Using a static IP for the printer... I do this for all my computers as well)

It works GREAT!

How would I go about setting the printer up so I could print remotely? Say if I was at school and I wanted to print a document.

How would I setup my printer to do this?

TIA