Lasseter scraps Toy Story 3

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacFan782040, Jan 27, 2006.

1. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Amen. Apparently with Iger's blessing too according to Reuters.
    http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...M-MEDIA-DISNEY-TOYSTORY-DC.XML&archived=False
    B

2. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

With Lasseter now in charge of all Disney animation, I think the end has come for lame sequals on classics just for marketing and megar profits.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

One can hope.

I'm afraid it's too late for this particular abomination... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0447854/

B

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Hangs head in shame. I actually marginally enjoyed that one, at least they got some of the original voice talent and didn't take it seriously.

You can keep the other Lion King sequels though.

B

5. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Have they even attempted a new, original theatrical Animated movie? It's time...

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Chicken Little?

B

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think he meant non-computer animated movie.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Thought they dismantled their traditional animation capabilies a few years ago after Lilo & Stitch?

B

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Other?!

*shoots Bambi for fun*

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This is great - if Disney can be turned around by this, it will only mean good things. I was so afraid that it would have gone the other way.

D

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Please tell me that this means the end of direct to video sequels, please!!!!

13. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I read that it was 2/3 of the animators were let go in favor of going 3d full force, but those numbers may differ either way.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I bet that the next cel-animated movies from Disney will be done like Family Guy, The Simpsons, and lots of anime: the movie/episode is storyboarded and key frames are drawn locally, then sent off to South Korea for inbetweening.

15. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

It sure sucks for those who were working on TS3. They all applauded when Las walked in, & then he said something like, I don't like this project. It's cancelled. Ouch.

What I wonder is what the Dis CG facility in Burbank is gonna be doing. It may be CG stuff for Disneyland rides.

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As I linked above, it wasn't just Lasseter, Iger seemed opposed to the project without Pixar involvement.

The whole idea of TS3 was Eisner's way of getting back at Jobs anyhow, if Lasseter finds a way to channel the animator's creativity in a better direction it is much better to ax a failing project sooner rather than later. The Burbank CGI lab could just be redirected to shorten the design time for Disney/Pixar movies so they might be able to get one out every 9-12 months insted of 18 months.

B

17. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Lasseter has always said, "Story is King."
    As of late, Disney has worked on the idea that "Cash is King".

It will be interesting to see how these different corperate environments come together. Is Disney going to allow Pixar to stay a seperate division? Is Lasseter's track record going to be enough leverage when he goes against the board?

Stay tuned for future exciting episodes!

18. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

This is good news to see Lassiter start taking charge - it would smear the franchise if this were to happen - Even the original stars were not going to sign on without Pixar.
    I have to give a thumbs up to Iger so far for knowing who to put in charge...

19. jdechko macrumors 68040

I sure hope so. There really is a large distinction between "Pixar" productions and "Disney" productions. I really hope that the "Pixar" side of things will retain creative control of all new animated films while Disney controls the live-action films and all distribution (Which is similar to the agreement that I assume existed between Disney and Pixar before the buyout). I'd really like to see a sequel to the Incredibles (as it was "totally wicked" ;) ) But I'd be very afraid if Disney had done it without Pixar's involvement.

20. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

If story really is king, then why not hope for a real animated trilogy. Why do we pine for half-baked sequels that only get the green light after the first one's box office results are in? Why not send a bunch of Pixar/Disney writers on a short vacation and ask for a real story arc that demands two or three movies. And I don't mean the Matrix arc where the second two movies are just one that got cut in half. Episodic sequels are good for TV shows, but the silver screen is a place where epics can be made. Lord of the Rings showed that to be true (and the LotR trilogy had more than its fair share of computer animation).

Now that Pixar isn't funneling movies to Disney one after the other in a linear fashion, maybe we can expect a real movie series to emerge. Toy Story was a decent first try since it did have a lot of unique characters. The Incredibles could pull it off as well since the hero/villian groundwork is there already. Movies like Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, and A Bug's Life all worked so well on their own that it would be a shame to risk it with a stupid sequel.

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I would love it if the new Pixar/Disney made a CGI version of Neuromancer... scene-for-scene in line with the original novel, exactly as William Gibson wrote it.

22. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

I pay to see that, even if it does run longer than 3 hours.

I was thinking of all the souless sequels that Disney has made recently... There are a lot of them. Anyway, what about a Pixar updated version of Tron? Sort of a "we've inherited the crown as the top computer animation group in the world, so we're putting our stamp one of the earliest computer animated movies". Its a bit outside the usual market for Pixar, but now that they're "Disney", why not?

Even a remake of the Tron 1.0 story would be okay if not an original Tron 2.0 script.

23. emcourtney macrumors newbie

We aren't the target market

It's not just Disney, nearly all animated movie sequels suck but I have two children, ages 5 and 7, who will watch any of them until the media wears out. We may gripe about Disney's sequels but we aren't the target audience kids like mine are and their, admittedly, lame taste in entertainment fixes Disney's target production quality. The racket works thusly; 1. Establish memorable characters with a big budget high quality theatrical release complete with fast food tie-ins. 2. Make some easy money by releasing low budget direct-to-home-video sequels. Even the lame sequels will pacify my little darlings until the DVD gets too scratched up to play and the money is just as green from Disney's point of view.