Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Would you buy the new iPhone when it releases? I ask because, Apple did a great job with the iPhone 4 and I don't see much in regards to hardware that could warrant a must have upgrade besides better optic cameras and maybe more ram to accommodate.

Of course I'll buy one, but I'm not a typical consumer. But a lot of people do upgrade annually.

I can appreciate that sense of timing and urgency, but does that qualify it for a Front Page story? None of the information is new, rumored, or even an amalgamation of previously disparate information. Quite frankly, it reads like product placement.

Lots of MacRumors readers are early adopters. Lots of people use MacRumors for purchase decisions. This is the first time there hasn't been an annual (on the dot) iPhone upgrade for people to buy up.

As for accusations. Apple doesn't even reply to my emails, much less give us money for anything. As far as they are concerned we don't exist.

arn

huythanhv2

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010
My iPhone went through the whole wash cycle (and it survived!). Should I bother with this?

Just asking =P

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
For my MBP, I understand the need of an extended warranty (although not for the current insane price for 15/17 inch MBPs), but for an iPhone, I don't think there is a need for 2-year warranty as its a highly portable device, which is prone to accidental damage (being dropped, water damage, etc.) outside the coverage of AppleCare...;)

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
My home button is wearing out too, but it hasn't seemed bad enough to get it replaced yet. I decided to go ahead and get the Apple Care. Even if there's a new phone in the fall, I'll probably wait until I'm upgrade eligible in February.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Who frigging cares, where is iPhone 5 already??

IOS 5 may be a nice big update, but as far as I'm concerned its just late.

When it's not out in June/July, it's late.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
thx

Thank you for the timely reminder. My warranty expires in couple of days, I do have an issue with lock button (not the home button).

Sometimes, being this on front news do help the readers. Thanks again.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Lots of MacRumors readers are early adopters. Lots of people use MacRumors for purchase decisions. This is the first time there hasn't been an annual (on the dot) iPhone upgrade for people to buy up.

I realize this is all a matter of opinion, but even with all these reasons the story itself doesn't seem to be news at all. It's almost like a reminder.

To me (and I think many in this thread judging by even more irate commentary than mine) rumors of an August iPhone 5, news of no hardware at WWDC, and leaks from parts suppliers are a lot better as far as a decision-making guide is concerned. After all, the Buyer's Guide itself does not list Applecare as a product that is "updated."

The sudden attention to Applecare absent any actual news, rumors, or leaks, is so uncharacteristic of the site that it compels us to wonder what is going on. Adding to the confusion is its Page 1 status; are all consumer reminders going to receive similar fanfare in the future?

As for accusations. Apple doesn't even reply to my emails, much less give us money for anything. As far as they are concerned we don't exist.

While it's pretty obvious that Apple wouldn't touch MR with a 10-foot pole, the fact remains that the story is written like typical product placement. I don't attribute this to any malicious or clandestine goal, just sloppy writing.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
I realize this is all a matter of opinion, but even with all these reasons the story itself doesn't seem to be news at all. It's almost like a reminder.

To me (and I think many in this thread judging by even more irate commentary than mine) rumors of an August iPhone 5, news of no hardware at WWDC, and leaks from parts suppliers are a lot better as far as a decision-making guide is concerned. After all, the Buyer's Guide itself does not list Applecare as a product that is "updated."

The sudden attention to Applecare absent any actual news, rumors, or leaks, is so uncharacteristic of the site that it compels us to wonder what is going on. Adding to the confusion is its Page 1 status; are all consumer reminders going to receive similar fanfare in the future?

While it's pretty obvious that Apple wouldn't touch MR with a 10-foot pole, the fact remains that the story is written like typical product placement. I don't attribute this to any malicious or clandestine goal, just sloppy writing.

This 100%. Thank you for writing this better than I could. :)

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Except there is no yearly (yet) iPhone this year. I personally don't get AppleCare on anything. I did get my iPhone 4 replaced under warranty a few days before that warranty expired, however. Me bringing it in was triggered by my awareness that my year was almost up.

arn

Then you didn't buy / own the 2004 PowerBook G4 with the faulty internal electronics that should have been recalled based on all the discussions in 2005 ... or you don't have to worry about the cost of replacing a dead PB.

The only thing that saved me was the additional warranty because it was bought with a VISA card that doubled the manufacturer's warranty. I was able to replace it in December 2005.

Of course I'll buy one, but I'm not a typical consumer. But a lot of people do upgrade annually.

arn

Thank you, early adopters. Get those bugs out before I spend MY money.

And if you bought an iPhone 4 in the last month or two, you still have 10 or 11 months to worry about Applecare.

Last edited by a moderator:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
If you plan on keeping this Iphone another year insurance is worth it as your battery will most likely need replacement

unixphone

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2008
thanks for reminding me.
I cannot believe i lost the ebay auction...
oh well, i just placed it through apple site and surprisingly, NO TAX in CA!!!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
(I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but...) How is this news? Do they post this every time it's been exactly one year since Apple Product X launched?

I guess the iPhone is probably the most popular device, but I suspect most people savvy enough to read this site have a good idea of how AppleCare works.
I 2nd this. Is MacRumors getting that bad they have to remind people to buy AppleCare and call it news?

I have a funny feeling MacRumors cares more about page clicks then providing good news content. Which is very sad. And I just don't know if the staff at MacRumors even care. I really hope they do care. But articles like this really make me start to wonder.

What is this, an advertisement?
Only the MacRumors staff will know this. But to the untrained eye (which is most people reading these sites) it sure looks that way.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
To all the naysayers complaining, "Why is MR posting this? Is this an ad? Blah blah blah..."

Shut up.

It's a friendly reminder. I know an *uncountable* number of people who've said "Oh, I'll get AppleCare later" and then they never do when their product dies. If that doesn't pertain to you, or if you don't want AppleCare, please move along.

boriscolombia

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2009
yes It is and its funny because I had just checked today and realized that I had less than 2 days to buy it, and then I came here and saw the same reminder, I do plan on keeping my IP4 for one more year until the 6th gen comes out, also I wasn't charged taxes to NC so thats a small pluss :)

jacobo007

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
Stop complaining people, there where a lot of nice rumors/news today posted on the site, it´s not like MacRumors is posting crap all day long, arn had an experience with his iPhone recently that made him aware of this Apple Care stuff and thought he could help someone in the same situation, there is nothing more to it.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Stop complaining people, there where a lot of nice rumors/news today posted on the site, it´s not like MacRumors is posting crap all day long, arn had an experience with his iPhone recently that made him aware of this Apple Care stuff and thought he could help someone in the same situation, there is nothing more to it.

I think people are ink blotting this into a conspiracy. Macarumors regulars are both early adopters AND conspiracy nuts :)

I wonder how much it'll matter for resale if there's no AppleCare on the phone this year... ???

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I think people are ink blotting this into a conspiracy. Macarumors regulars are both early adopters AND conspiracy nuts :)

I wonder how much it'll matter for resale if there's no AppleCare on the phone this year... ???

This is the only reason I'm buying AC. I want the buyer to feel assured and not think I'm tricking them into buying a shoddy device.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I don't buy Apple care for anything and have never needed it. Extended warranties are designed to be extra revenue streams with the believe that the consumer will never use it.

I paid for an extended warranty on my Chevy and never once had to take it in for a single repair in four years. They offered me a renewal on it and I refused.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I don't buy Apple care for anything and have never needed it. Extended warranties are designed to be extra revenue streams with the believe that the consumer will never use it.

I paid for an extended warranty on my Chevy and never once had to take it in for a single repair in four years. They offered me a renewal on it and I refused.
Every time I've ever bought AppleCare I've used it. It saved me over $1000 on a Mac repair a had a few months ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.