Last chance to retrieve data on crashed HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by KevRC4130, Feb 4, 2006.

1. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,
    So the HD on my Powerbook is pretty much dead. At this point, when I power it on, the screen with the Apple logo and the small spining propellor thing at the bottom will just stay on until I shut it off by holding the power button for a few seconds. At this point, is there any way to get into what's left of my HD to access lost files? Or is it a lost cause, and time to install the new HD I bought?

Thanks

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Does the HD spin up at all?

If so and you have access to a PC, you might try GRC Spinrite. It can work wonders recovering data.

Spinrite is a DOS program but can work on Mac formatted HDs. Note, you will need a way to connect your 2.5" HD to the PC that you are using.

Also, if your data is very important, you can look into professional recovery services. If you choose this route, do not attempt to do anything to your HD. Just take it out and send it to the professional recovery company.

Good luck.

3. ybakos macrumors member

Disk Warrior, and Data Rescue II

Hi. Something similar happened to me last month.

First, boot from another drive. Does your bad drive at least still mount automatically and does it show up on the desktop? If so, there's your data. You can try migrating your account over w/ migration assisstant but I bet it'll just sit there for a looong time.

If the above doesn't happen:

Discovery:
    If you have applecare, boot from the techtool cd and run it's tests. But DON'T LET IT ATTEMPT TO FIX YOUR DRIVE. Just see what it says. Directory table screwy? Ok.

If you have another hard drive, boot from it and run disk utility. Run "verify permissions on the bad drive. If it complains about B-Tree nodes being screwed, that's ok. You just want to know.

Fix:
    To try to fix the drive using Disk Warrior. I hope it works for you as it has for many others. I didn't get to see if it worked for my problem or not because I let the applecare techtool "fix" the drive (it didn't) which prevented Disk Warrior from being able to do it's thing.

Failing all that, you can use Data Rescue II to retreive what you can. Hope it works for you (it worked great for me)

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Data Rescue II saved my ... after I accidentally fragged my directory,
    but you need to run it from another drive.

5. KevRC4130 thread starter macrumors 6502

I really don't think I can do anything suggested since I literally have no desktop. The farthest it gets is the grey opening screen w/ the Apple logo and the spinny thing on the bottom... the desktop never loads. I think I'm out of luck. :(

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

TARGET DRIVE MODE

Reboot and just after the bong sound, hold down "t" (or open apple+t, I can never remember which; try both). You should get a roving Firewire emblem on your screen. Then plug a firewire cable into your powerbook and the other end into another regular booted mac. You should be able to access the drive if it can still function at all and get all your files off it.

Also booting into single user mode and running fsck might help a bit, but it sounds like your drive is just plain dead.

7. Doshka macrumors newbie

How to best retrieve your data if your MBA hard drive refuses to boot up

If you have experienced this problem i can know how frustrating this can be. A few days ago while i was attempting to reinstall OSX on my MacBook Air, it suddenly stopped in the middle of the install and gave me an error message and told me that i have to try again. Stupidly i had forgotten to back up my data before attempting to reinstall OSX. Surprising when i restarted my computer i would get the apple logo and the whirly thingy and then suddenly it would shut down. No matter how many times i tried to reboot it would just shut down. Nothing worked not safe mode not single user mode, and when i attempted to to do disk repair from the installation CD (that came with my MacBook Air) it would give me an error problem.

I have only been a mac user for 6 month so being not very familiar with mac i started panicking. Called Apple they told me that i would probably lose all my data. NO WAY!!. Anyway after three days of a failed attempts here is how i finally managed to get my data out:

1. You need the following
    a)WIFI Network
    b)another computer (either PC or MAC makes no difference)
    c)both OSX installation CDS (Bootable of course)
    d) an external hard drive (must be 20GB or more the larger the better keep in mind that you will use this to move your data so you need it to at least take OSX (approx 11 GB) and your data)

2. if you dont have it on your secondary computer then download an install the remote disc software.
    MAC Version: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/dvdorcdsharingsetupupdateformac.html

PC Version:
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/dvdorcdsharingupdate10forwindows.html

3. After installation of the remote disc software, insert the bootable OSX installation CD into your secondary computers optical drive. and Run it. Follow the on screen instructions

4. Press the power button on your problem mac and immediatly press and hold the option button. Keep pressing it until the grey screen and the whirly thing comes on and then wait. The option button forces the macbook air to boot up from a network drive (remote disc)

5. soon you will see on your screen your wifi network, punch in your network password and then wait.

6. within a few minutes you will see the in addition to your hard drive another bootable drive (which is actually the optical drive on the secondary computer) click on it and then click on the arrow that will appear under it.

7. It takes a while for the two computers to sync in my case it took about 15 - 20 minutes.

8. Soon you will notice the problem mac has booted up, at this stage do not go ahead with the installation as you will probably delete you internal hard drive. (in my case it would not allow me to archive my old data and insisted that i will have to delete everything by reinstalling OSX)

9.Go ahead and plug in you external hard drive and go to disc utilities. in disc utilities click on you external hard drive on the left hand side of the screen.

10. On the right hand if the screen click on erase (make sure you are selected on your external hard disc and not the internal one where all your data is stored). Go ahead and format your external hard disc (mac osx format extended jorneyed). You external hard drive is now compatable with the mac osx and you can now install a clean copy of osx on it.

11. Go ahead and install MAC OSX on your external hard drive, this should take about 3 - 4 hrs please keep in mind that it is running of your secondary computer via the Wifi and is therefore expectedly slightly slow. Please remember that you will need both CDS to finish the installation

12. Once OSX is installed on your external hard drive it is time to get all you old data out of your internal hard drive. Reboot your computer and press and hold the C button. This forces your problem mac to reboot up from the external hard drive (TO ALL EFFECTS YOUR INTERNAL HARD DRIVE IS NOW A SLAVE TO YOUR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE)

13. It should now boot up normally and take you to the desktop your problem mac is now fully accessible and your hard drive with the corrupted OS should be visible on your desktop

IN CASE THAT YOUR PROBLEM IS REALLY SERIOUS THIS METHOD ALSO GIVES YOU THE OPTION TO INSTALL AND RUN VARIOUS SOFTWARES THAT MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP FIX YOUR HARD DISC, LIKE DISC WARRIOR ETC..

14. From here on it is simply a matter of copying and pasting your docs and other important data from your internal hard drive to your external hard drive.

15. Once you are sure all your data is copied securely to your external hard drive. shut down your computer unplug your external hard drive, connect your super drive with the OSX installation cd in it (CD 1 of course) and reboot your computer remembering to press and hold the C button so that it boots up off the super drive

16. Completely erase your internal hard drive and install a clean copy of OS x on it.

17. Once that is done, disconnect the super drive, and you should be able to boot up normally, connect your external hard drive and copy back all your data back on to your internal hard drive.

I DO ADVISE THAT YOU SHOULD KEEP YOUR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE AS A BOOTABLE DRIVE SO THAT IF THIS PROBLEM OCCURS IN THE FUTURE YOU CAN SKIP STEPS 1 - 11 AND GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 12.

This worked like a charm for me and i was able to get all my data out even my emails contacts and calender data. Please do not waste your time with apple as they will 99% of the time not bother to think much about the issue and insist that your internal hard drive is damaged and tell you that you will lose your data.

The above definatly works if your hard drive is not damaged and your problem is with a corrupted OS, and as mentioned above if the hard drive is damaged this method at least gives you the option of using softwares like data recovery and disc warrior. (which i have never used but would have given them a try if this hadnt worked).

Sorry this post is really long but i tried to make it as clear as possible especially for those out there who haven't been using mac for long as is my case.

Anyway hope it helps. Best of Luck.:)