Last.fm & iScrobbler questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kiscokid, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Kiscokid macrumors member

I thought I would have a go at these applications yesterday and downloaded both on my new iMac 24".
    Now the support on the site is woeful - therefore I wonder if someone can answer me what I hope are simple questions.

1. If I am playing music on itunes at home - do I just use last.fm. to update my page/charts. This seems to be the easiest solution.

2. If I am out playing music on my ipod - do I use iScrobbler to update my charts when I dock ipod back at the mac?

3. Do I always have to launch these applications before using iTunes? Is there anyway of setting them up to automatically launch

4. Is there any merit in having both applications running?

Sorry to ask a lot of questions - but I am slightly confused!! If anyone could help that would be great.....:)

2. bartelby macrumors Core

You should be able to keep iScrobbler running all the time. I think there is an option under the Preferences.

3. Kiscokid thread starter macrumors member

Not in version 1.2 that I can see.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You can just throw it into your login items under System Preferences (Accounts)

5. Kiscokid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - didnt realise that. I read on a forum that last.fm and iScrobbler can not run together - is this basically someone talking crap then?

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Beats me. I haven't really bothered much with the new last.fm app, still happy with iScrobbler.

[edit: okay, out of curiosity, I tried the latest last.fm player release, and it actully works now. if you have scrobbling enabled in the newer client, yeah, it would be a good idea not to run the older plugin because it's redundant. ]

7. Kiscokid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for looking. Sorry - but which one is the older plugin? I downloaded both yesterday - the latest last.fm and iScrobble 1.2.1

I will try out when back from work and see if iScrobble updates my last.fm chart profile with songs I have listened to on my ipod today.

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The Last.fm program (used to be called "Last.fm Player") is the newer, supported client that didn't work so well when it first came out. It seems to be much better now.

iScrobbler is the old standby. It still works and is still quietly developed, but it's no longer officially supported.