Last.fm usage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jl24, Dec 9, 2006.

1. jl24 macrumors newbie

I've just signed up for a last.fm account and I like the fact I can see what I'm listening to along with my mates. However I don't like the last.fm application as a means of scrobbling. Is there a plug in I can use that scrobbles for me?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Audioscrobler plug-in is small in the menu bar (see image) without whole other app open. It's the icon on the far left.

Attached Files:

3. jl24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can only seem to find a Windows version of this (but I'm sure that can't be right and I'm looking at the wrong thing). Any chance you could give me a link please? Thanks

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

http://www.last.fm/tools/downloads/. Mine came up with automatic OSX selection, but here is a picture of the drop down list of platforms (on the right of the picture) if you don't get OSX selected. I hope this is exactly what you're looking for.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Forgot to post the picture: here it is.

Attached Files:

• as.jpg
      as.jpg
      File size:
      24.3 KB
      Views:
  6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

At the top is the one you want for tiger, at the bottom is the one for older OSX versions.

N.B. Sorry for so many posts, I just keep seeing new things just after posting.

7. jl24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using the plugin because I don't want to have an application running alongside iTunes, I'd rather it be running in the menu bar. However, I don't think it's working properly (the plug-in). How long does it take to submit one of my listens to last.fm?

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It depends on various things, sometimes it is instant, sometimes it is not. Click on the icon on the menubar to see what it still has to submit.

9. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I recently discovered Last.FM and was put off by the application as well. But then, one of my favorite Mac OS X programs, Synergy, has just been updated to support last.fm! So now I get all the benifits of synergy AND Last.fm without having the bloat of 2 apps. Synergy is an incredible app and is one of the only applications I have actually paid for (It's like $7). It supports menu bar control of iTunes, iTunes hot keys, slick iTunes transparent currently playing overlays and more. If you are not adverse to paying a few bucks for an amazing program (you can also download the demo to see if you like it), you can find synergy here:

http://wincent.com/a/products/synergy-classic/

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Songbird is nowhere near finished but it has built in support for last.fm

11. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I wouldn't use songbird, iTunes does everything for me and more and it's free. Plus I need it for my iPod

12. jl24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been waiting for the killer addition to Synergy to brand it worth a purchase (thought $5 is a killer price anyways.) How does the scrobbling work and what's the performance like?

13. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Scrobbling is perfect. Basically the instant that you pass 50% of the song or 240 seconds it's right then reported to last.fm. I've had an account since August but I just started using it last week (800 songs scrobbled yay ;)) and I am so pleased. It doesn't interfere with anything, just put in your login information once into the synergy prefs and you're set :)

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think we should start posting our accounts: Here's mine:

http://www.last.fm/user/psychofreak/

Bear in mind that I was with another computer for months so my play count is really low for the time I've been there.

15. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Sweet, I love how it shows you how many artists you have in common with other people. We have quite a few and yet it says Very Low...odd. Anyway, Queen's Don't Stop Me Now is an incredible song, Queen is one of my favorite bands :) Maybe we should start a MacRumors group? :O

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Make one and I'll join.

Its a great way to find new bands - see what people with high taste-in-common levels listen to that you don't.

17. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

18. PSUchris macrumors newbie

Lately, the plug-in doesn't submit tracks for me either. Not sure what's wrong. Now I just use the Last.fm standalone application and just run a script when iTunes is launched the last.fm application is launched as well and automatically hidden. No more of a bother than another icon in the dock.