last minute advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by savanahrose, Nov 16, 2006.

1. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I am going to get my mac on Sunday, is there any last minute instructions on what to get and what not to get? This is for the ram, hd etc. I know already that I am going to get a 17" iMac.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We could probably be more helpful if you let us know what specs you are planning on getting and what you plan on doing with the machine. :)

3. savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

2.0 ghz c2d
    1 gb ram
    160 gb hard drive
    ATI Radeon X1600 128MB SDRAM
    17-inch widescreen LCD
    AirPort Extreme
    Bluetooth 2.0 + I just was going to do emails, pogo.com games, chat with my brother and friends, Ichat with daughter when she moves and gets her own mac. Then I do want to take my home movies and pics and put them on a dvd.

Eventually I want to get a dslr camera and take pics, but I also am going to go back to school and get as may online classes as possible.

I think that will do it for now. I don't do any heavy duty games but I do want to learn alot more about computers, apps, etc.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Looks good...I think that machine will be just fine for your needs. Enjoy!

5. savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

ty so much. i feel better about that computer now. I was a bit apprehensive on it. thinking it might be too much or not enough, or if I should just get macbook.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Hi Rose,

That configuration should be fine to get you rolling along nicely.

Eventually, you might want to upgrade the RAM to 2 GB when you start getting into making movies, but for now I think you'll be fine with 1 GB.

Upgrading the VRAM to 256MB may not be a high priority for the usage you've indicated, but I would think about it since you can't upgrade later.

Apple Care is SO reasonable for this machine, that would be my only additional recommendation, but you can buy that any time before the 1st year is up.

We've already established that the 17" iMac is more than enough computer for your needs, but take a good hard look at the base 20" model simply for viewing pleasure.

If you or anyone in your family qualifies for the education discount, that could
    make quite a difference in your final decision.

Simply taking one photography course at your local community college is enough
    to qualify you for those savings.

7. savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Nope no one in the family can take advantage of the educational discount. :eek:
    But thank you for the heads up on the vram. I will take that into consideration.

8. savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I went to go look at the specs of the imac 17". That vram is that the graphics card? I thought I knew what you were talking about but when I went to the specs, I got lost. lol.

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Yes, sorry for the lingo.

Exactly, VRAM=Video RAM, the amount of RAM in your GPU.
    Graphics Processing Unit.

128MB is quite acceptable, but the 256MB upgrade option would be better if you can swing the difference.