Last Minute Pre-Thanksgiving Recipes

Discussion in 'Community' started by janey, Nov 24, 2004.

1. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    as you all know, tomorrow is thanksgiving (well, where I live, at least, in california)

I 'm sure I'm probably not the only one out there scrambling for recipes. I found a bunch on, but I would love it if anyone had a reliable and delicious recipe to share with the world :)

I did find an (apparently good) cranberry upside-down cake in today's LA Times.

Cranberry upside-down cake
    Total time: 1 hour
    Servings: 9

1/3 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons water
    1 package (12ounces) cranberries
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1. Heat the butter in a small saucepan until melted. Add the sugar and water and cook, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the cranberries and vanilla and stir to combine.
    2. Pour the mixture into a buttered 8-inch square baking dish. Set it aside while preparing the cake batter.

1/2 cup butter
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon grated orange peel
    1 1/2 cups cake flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until light. Add the brown sugar and beat until blended. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the sour cream, vanilla and orange peel and mix.
    2. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
    3. Add the dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture and beat until the ingredients are blended and the batter is light, about 2-3 minutes.
    4. Spoon the batter evenly over the cranberry mixture in the baking pan and use the back of the spoon or a spatula to spread it smooth.
    5. Bake until the cake tests done in the center, about 40-45 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and let it stand for 5 minutes, then invert it onto a serving platter. Cool slightly before cutting and serving warm.
  2. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2004

This is a warm appetiser from All Recipes .

Personally, I would leave out the cream and the heat, but mix the canned artichokes & chopped onions (I would use spanish/red onions), perhaps with some olive oil & a little garlic 2-3 hours ahead, then crumble the cheese (it should stick to the oil on the artichokes) then chop it up to bite size, stick it with prongy things (mini-skewers if you must), and serve it cold and offer the mayonnaise as a dip.

I guess it depends on the temperature outside as to whether you serve it cold or warm/creamy, but this is an appetiser so maybe it doesn't matter.

... food ... mmmm

2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
    2/3 cup mayonnaise
    1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
    1 tablespoon chopped pimento peppers

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
    Blend together the cheese, mayonnaise and whipping cream. Stir in the artichokes, green onions and pimentos. Mix well, and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
    Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.
  3. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2004
    This is also good (not Thanksgiving turkey, but well worth a try).
    I have cooked this ten to fifteen times, with variations on herbs, trimmings etc, but always with the chook & garlic.

I don't use a crockpot - just the chicken placed on something to keep it above the base of the roasting pan (I don't know what you guys in US call these things), garlic etc in the roasting pan itself, then covered on low heat in an oven for 2 to 3 hours.

Yum. When served, the chicken has a garlic taste but because it has baked for so long the garlic is subtle, not strong.

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

2 sprigs fresh thyme
    2 sprigs fresh rosemary
    2 sprigs fresh sage
    2 sprigs Italian parsley
    1-4 lb. whole broiler/fryer chicken
    2 stalks celery, cut into 3" pc.
    40 cloves garlic, unpeeled
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    toasted french bread toast

Place 1 sprig thyme, rosemary, sage and parsley in chicken cavity. Place
    celery in crockpot. Put chicken on top of celery. Add garlic, unpeeled,
    around chicken. Chop remaining herbs; sprinkle herbs and pepper over chicken.
    Cover; cook on low 8-10 hours (high 3-1/2 - 5).

To serve: place chicken, garlic and celery on serving platter. Squeeze roasted
    garlic out of skins onto toasted French Bread slices then spread with a knife.
    Makes 4 servings.

BTW. MR might be the wrong forum, but I would like to know what people eat - as in cook (not fast/junk food - done that) ?