Last Minute Thoughts on iCloud, iOS 5 as Keynote Line Begins

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

A likely mockup of iOS 5 posted by TechCrunch​
    On the night before the 2011 WWDC Keynote, things have been relatively quiet. Those attending WWDC are naturally excited by the prospect of Apple's announcements and everyone is speculating about what Apple could announce. The first person got in line for the WWDC keynote at 1pm Sunday, while everyone else seems to be debating exactly how early to get in line. At present there seem to be about 30 people in line (photo) as of 11pm Pacific.

The image above is what we believe to simply be a mockup of what iOS 5's notifications may look like. It was posted by TechCrunch who later said that they've heard it's the "right idea".

DaringFireball's John Gruber has posted his thoughts about Monday's event but seems to know very little for certain. The most tantalizing quote he offers, but also one that he describes as fourth hand information is as follows:
    Gruber describes the possibility where instead of taking an iOS device and syncing it to your computer, all the data is synced to iCloud. This would finally relinquish the need for a PC/Mac sync for new iOS devices. He goes on with other wishes for iOS but admits its not based on any inside knowledge.

Interestingly, we've heard that a few Apple employees have been genuinely excited about tomorrow's announcements. The keynote kicks off at 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern on Monday and we'll provide live coverage here.

Article Link: Last Minute Thoughts on iCloud, iOS 5 as Keynote Line Begins
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2011
  3. macrumors 68040

Apr 2, 2005
    I am not that excited about this year.

iCloud will likely be extremely buggy at the start, whatever it does (kind of like MobileMe was).

We already know the "main deal" about Lion and just like when they did this with Leopard, nothing much was added at WWDC.

iOS 5 might be interesting, but likely won't be available to the masses for a while.

Hopefully they'll be "one more thing"!

This is not to say that I will not watch every second of the keynote as it unfolds :)
  4. macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2010
    Revamped iOS plox. Widgets and better notification.

Anything less and I'll seriously be considering a Galaxy Tab (I currently own and love my iPad 2).
  5. macrumors 65816

Feb 2, 2010
    Woodstock, GA USA
  6. macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2010
    St. Louis
    I'm looking forward to tomorrow, but I am not as excited for it as I was last year. Still, I am highly intrigued for the iCloud and iOS 5 announcements.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Feb 12, 2011
    Gallifrey, 5124
    wireless syncing would certainly be a welcomed feature
  8. macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Read what is actually there.

Sure it does. They need to charge their phone soon.
  9. macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2010
    Of course it'll be buggy because it'll be in beta so only devs will be able to have access to it.

I really hope if Apple does go by the notification mock-up that it's like Android's pull down style and that notifications stack for each app so it doesn't get convoluted and crowded.

Also I find it important to note that John Gruber says MobileMe isn't = iCloud. So they'll be two separate entities? I really want to sign up for MobileMe or whatever it is called this year if they have improved it enough.

On the software end of things, this seems as exciting a year as any for WWDC. Also possibly a new MBA with Sandy Bridge might be released. Tomorrow's gonna be interesting.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2011
  11. macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2004
    Yes, replace iTunes, please!
  12. Moderator

Staff Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Southampton, UK
    The picture reminds me of the twitter quick bar, which has now been removed from the twitter iPhone app.
  13. macrumors 68030

Oct 15, 2008
    Yes, you wouldn't need a real computer anymore. And yes, you would be 100% dependent on Apple and their terms of use.

The folks who have been asking who would want a Google Chromium tablet should also ask who's going to want an Apple iOS device that is (exclusively) linked to an Apple cloud "service".

I am very, very skeptical of Apple's iCloud. That company enjoys censorship and tight control over the "user experience" way too much.
  14. macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2008
    I really hope that they start the back to school special tomorrow...I want to get my MBP w/ a free iPod already!
  15. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    It shows a new Camera icon, twitter integration, and a new look to the menubar (is it translucent like OS X, or grey?) but other than that, basically nothing!

TechCrunch said "at the very least, we're hearing right idea." I think it might be real. Why would someone bother to update the camera icon? It's weird that the notification text is in Myriad though.
  16. macrumors member

Jul 29, 2010
  17. macrumors 6502a

Aug 3, 2010
    Tell me when weren't you skeptical … Also get a clue for once and stop spreading BS.
  18. macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2004
    iCloud == the new iTunes.

This makes perfect sense! It would mean liberating all the iDevices from the need to ever hook up to a computer. People with modest computing needs could just get an iPad and that's it.
  19. macrumors 68040

Jul 31, 2005
  20. macrumors 68040

Nov 27, 2003
    You like telling people to 'get a clue' without ever uttering an intelligent sentence. Strange creature, aren't you.
  21. macrumors 6502a

Aug 3, 2010
    Not just these people, but all people i think. If i can just turn my just unboxed iPad on and sync it, well it beats connecting it to the Mac and setting iTunes hands down imho.
  22. macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    I know I wouldn't. Even if I wanted to trust a company like Apple to hold all of my information, I live in a rural area where the Internet is too slow to use any cloud services if I actually wanted them. Maybe in 10 years, but for now not everyone has fast enough Internet. However if they offered wireless syncing over my home wifi network that would be awesome.
  23. macrumors 68030

Jan 19, 2006
    I hope the notification reminders replaces the Spotlight screen not the first page of apps.

Leave the search field at the top, but only activate the keyboard if I tap that cell. Or if I tap another cell that allows text replies.

Also really hoping that the notification model changes to let me choose the priority of the App notifications instead of the style. The higher the priority the more intrusive the note is.
  24. macrumors member

Jul 29, 2010
  25. Eso
    macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2008
    No kidding, a few Apple employees are excited, huh?