Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
1 more thing

"1 more thing" = 220-350g iPod Classic.
My movies and music are busting out of my 160 classic.

Vlad33141

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

My iPhone was on F* and I switched to C* , but the weather app stayed the same. So no it doesn't have anything to do with the celcius or farenheit, it has more to to do with the country that you have your iPhone under.

coleridge78

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Prefer "client-server" computing then (since that takes into consideration fat clients) ? thinclients are many things, amongst which 1 is deported display (ICA, RDP, X11, VT100, even ... the Web!).

Most "cloud computing" is just a Web 2.0 app (ugh... I was writing web apps with server logic and Javascript based front-ends that were fully dynamic before someone coined it Web 2.0) and the Web browser is now the ultimate "deported display" technology where the app logic runs on the server and the client does some display and some display based logic. ]

While I hate the "cloud" marketing stuff, because a lot of it *is* exactly what you're saying--the same old, with hipster lingo--that's not *all* that it is. There is some there, there.

Yes it's all client-server computing, but within "client-server" there is infinite room for innovation. At the end of the day, "client-server" is just a label for half of a particular high-level taxonomic dichotomy--local vs local-and-remote--not a descriptor of any particular sort of goal or implementation.

What is the "new" bit of the "cloud", imo? The integration. It is NOT at all "the network is the computer". Not remotely, and McNealy is as silly now as he was then. It's the local and the remote working together to amplify the user experience. It's BOTH local and remote acting as client and server, depending on the context, as opposed to "local" and "client" being synonymous.

In the classic client-server context (to give one small example of what is materially different with "the cloud"), the client was not always dumb in the sense of "dumb terminal" but it was pretty much always "dumb" in the sense of not providing persistent, pervasive inputs to the system (so "dumb" in the old-and-considered-mildly-offensive sense of "deaf and dumb"). Now, services like live traffic data in nav software couldn't exist without the "clients" serving up data.

The low level of the technology has changed in an evolutionary, not revolutionary manner--in the end we're still talking about httpd and encapsulated web service clients that know how to POST, various custom socket daemons, what have you--but that strict model of a server as being the oracle of Delphi is breaking down. This is different from strict P2P (which has been around as long as unix talk(1) and longer) because P2P doesn't really amplify any of the Ps. It's more a development of "hybrid" P2P like Napster, which relied on some central element, continuing to become more integrated with traditional client-server-isms.

Dcuellar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

OllyW said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can anyone tell me how long the keynotes are usually? I watched it last year for the first time but I can't remember.

Usually around two hours.

Thank you

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
The more I hear about iCloud the less I like what I hear. I may just fire up my PM G4 again, run iTunes 8.2.1 (which did everything I wanted), keep a spare iPod Classic around and never worry about downloading anything more from Apple.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
It's amazing how some seem to be so critical and threatening againt the company that totally changed everything in the last 5 years. :rolleyes:

Looking forward most to iOS 5... It should be like getting a new iPad and iPhone.

Your type are never satisfied, so I'll say my goodbye to you now.

120+ million iOS users minus 1.
Lol you guys are pathetic. I especially love that you mentioned the number of ios users, so such a silly and stupid things to mention haha
There are a lot of people that share your feelings. As a very long time customer I'm sad to say I'm close to feeling as you do. As a software engineer, I'm happy I work in a cross platform environment. I feel as though Apples new direction is forcing us to dumb down or switch platforms. iOS is fine and has it's place. But to compromise OS X in the process, is a decision Apple may regret.
I agree bro.

zipster

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't really care for the cloud stuff just yet.

If iOS 5 is a dud, I'm moving to Android once my contract is up.

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't really care for the cloud stuff just yet.

If iOS 5 is a dud, I'm moving to Android once my contract is up.

How exactly would you define iOS 5 as a dud? How would it have to fail?

Also, personally I hope this 'iCloud Time Machine' rumor is false, personally I think it is being misinterperated. What I hope the buzz is about is being able to upload actual backups from your Time Machine into the cloud for another added layer of protection.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
iCloud == the new iTunes.

This makes perfect sense! It would mean liberating all the iDevices from the need to ever hook up to a computer. People with modest computing needs could just get an iPad and that's it.

Which disgusts me, its enough that they want to be dictators over their own products but now they are trying to be dictators over my data? I don't think so.

Of course the mainstream consumers are clueless and just have this idea in their heads that apple is the latest social trend so its cool no matter how stupid their ideas are.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The more I hear about iCloud the less I like what I hear. I may just fire up my PM G4 again, run iTunes 8.2.1 (which did everything I wanted), keep a spare iPod Classic around and never worry about downloading anything more from Apple.

Jumping the shark at all?

We don't even know what iCloud is, but one thing is certain, you don't HAVE to use it.

So what is your post about? :confused:

C

champ01

Which disgusts me, its enough that they want to be dictators over their own products but now they are trying to be dictators over my data? I don't think so.

Of course the mainstream consumers are clueless and just have this idea in their heads that apple is the latest social trend so its cool no matter how stupid their ideas are.

Did you watched the keynote from 97?

I guess you didn't otherwise you wouldn't buy Apple. ;)

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
iOS5: Everything the jailbreak scene had for years came to mainstream. Fudge you Steve, fudge you.

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America
Macrumors did a fantastic job reporting what happened at WWDC 2011. Thank you, MR. Personally, I really wasn't too thrilled with this thing. There were lots of IOS 5 things discussed and those looked good. I was very disappointed with OS X Lion. Lion isn't even a new OS, it's just an update to snow leopard? At least they aren't charging for a whole O.S.. The $29.00 price was the highlight of the Lion info. I did actually get my hopes up when I read "One more thing." But then that ended up being a let down:( Oh well, maybe we'll get some positive news eventually. I knew we were in trouble when I read the comment about how we are in a post personal computer era. Now we know why they changed the name from Apple Computer.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Jumping the shark at all?

We don't even know what iCloud is, but one thing is certain, you don't HAVE to use it.

So what is your post about? :confused:

My post was about the article that started this thread: "the possibility where instead of taking an iOS device and syncing it to your computer, all the data is synced to iCloud."

And now that we've heard more about what iCloud is, I know I will definitely NOT be using it. $25 a year for the privilege of keeping my music library, which I carry in my pocket, in the cloud? No thanks.

What's not clear to me is whether new versions of iTunes will still allow the user to do his own syncing (over USB). Hopefully so.

The other iCloud features hold little interest for me either. Being forced to use an Apple application in order to store text data in the cloud. You mean I can't just upload my own text files?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
And now that we've heard more about what iCloud is, I know I will definitely NOT be using it. $25 a year for the privilege of keeping my music library, which I carry in my pocket, in the cloud? No thanks.

Uh, I watched the keynote under the impression that iCloud was free and the iTunes Match feature was the thing that cost $25 a year.

Did I misunderstand? :confused:

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Uh, I watched the keynote under the impression that iCloud was free and the iTunes Match feature was the thing that cost $25 a year.

At least 95% of my music library is ripped (legally) from CDs. Without the matching feature it wouldn't be of much use.

It's not much use in any case, since I can do all my own syncing in a minute or two anyway.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
what is going to happen to encrypt ichat sessions?

iCloud is great, but what is going to happen to the ability to encrypt ichat sessions for business MobileMe customers?

iTunes 10.3b : where to download it?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009

yes iCloud is free
iTunes Match is going to cost $25 a year but if you have songs already on your
computer they will be matched for free, so I understood

As far as music you've ripped yourself, iTunes has 18 million songs in the music store and Apple will use a feature called iTunes Match to give you the same benefits on songs you've ripped, as songs you've purchased. Library is scanned and matched and any songs that remain can be uploaded. Songs that are matched are upgraded to 256KBps, AAC, DRM-free, with all the benefits above, including push syncing and all the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.