Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I agree it won't be on the same day, but no way it will take that long. I'm betting on the next week, or the latest by the end of the month.

No way? This is the first preview. Developers will need time with the betas.

There has always been a 3-4 month period between an iOS announcement and the release.

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
£35 - eBay
£28 - eBay
£20 - Toys R Us !
£0 - Bullring Apple Store after they messed me about during the iPhone 3G launch
£30 - eBay
£15 - eBay (Bought 2 of these, old stock .Mac boxes)

All of them were boxed retail packages. :)

The beta might be available to developers but there's no chance of an official release today.

Can't find any. :(

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
This is Apple, but even Apple can't swallow a piece that big. Maybe we will see Lion released today or at least in june (i doubt that), but iOS no way we will see a final version, just a dev preview (as it always was before).

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I am not that excited about this year.

iCloud will likely be extremely buggy at the start, whatever it does (kind of like MobileMe was).

We already know the "main deal" about Lion and just like when they did this with Leopard, nothing much was added at WWDC.

iOS 5 might be interesting, but likely won't be available to the masses for a while.

"meh"

Hopefully they'll be "one more thing"!

This is not to say that I will not watch every second of the keynote as it unfolds :)

No way!

This year is one hell of an ass-kicking year. All 3 major Apple lines are getting big technology overhauls:

- Lion is the start of the next phase of the Mac, where it becomes a more nimble OS. It's the start of the OS industry following the PC sales trend over the last decade and moving to concentrate on laptops and mobile devices.

- iOS 5 is the other side of that coin. While OSX is becoming nimbler, iOS is going to be getting a lot smarter IMO. Improved notifications will help your workflow, and since this is such a big issue for iOS at the moment, I'm half-expecting a local documents store (or even something via iCloud, keeping your documents in sync between iOS devices and maybe even your Mac, too).

iOS major version updates always have hundreds of new features. Even if they're not visible, new APIs and such are always welcome as they expand the possible app feature set. I'm expecting a big release today on that front.

- iCloud. Basically a huge unknown. Is it a media or music-only system to replace iTunes? Does it stream from a datacentre or your home TC? Will it take over all functions of MobileMe? Is it mobileme with music bolted on? How much will it cost? Will it do files? etc.

joolze

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Just wanted to say that I love the build up to an Apple announcement.

It feels like Christmas Eve when you were a kid & didn't know what Father Christmas was bringing & if you'd been good enough to get what you wanted :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed as I've been a good girl this year...

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
They have dried up since Apple pulled the boxed retail version.
They were upset people were getting MobileMe for far less than the $99 advertised price. The App Store gave them the perfect excuse to end the box copies and close that loophole that let people renew for less.

Which is why if this new version of Mobi--er I mean iCloud isn't

• damn cheap
and/or

• has a crapload of new services you don't have to own three different iDevices to get any use out of
I'm not renewing and just getting a real domain and hosting instead. MobileMe, as it is now, is not worth $99/yr. Period.

Last edited:

twilson

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005

iCloud will likely be extremely buggy at the start, whatever it does (kind of like MobileMe was).

Or, maybe the massive new data-centre proves that they've learnt from the previous mistakes and don't want it to happen again. (Especially given Steve's responses about the MobileMe launch, he'll be more than pissed if it happens again).

We already know the "main deal" about Lion and just like when they did this with Leopard, nothing much was added at WWDC.

They have said they're holding back some features to be announced later.

iOS 5 might be interesting, but likely won't be available to the masses for a while.

Well, it is a World-Wide Developer Conference, isn't it.

yourstation

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

queshy said:

"meh"

Hopefully they'll be "one more thing"!

This is not to say that I will not watch every second of the keynote as it unfolds :)

Lol. How grumpy are you!

I couldn't be more excited. This iCloud philosophy that Steve Jobs has been pushing for nearly 20 years is starting to take shape. It will not always just be about your audio and video but all your content.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I'm most excited about Lion. Release date, price, and whether there is anything new we don't know yet.

My 2nd Gen iPod Touch won't take iOS 5, but I'm still interested in what it will bring.

As for iCloud, I wish it did wireless syncing or something like that... Though I'm sure it would need iOS 5 anyway so I won't be able to use it.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
This sounds great and all...But I really can't see this service being free, how can Apple afford to let millions of people upload gigs and gigs of data onto their servers for free?

If they can somehow make this free, it will be amazing. I have a Macbook Pro that I use all the time and have loads of movies on it that I would love to send to the cloud so I can play movies and stuff on my Apple TV, as well as free up disc space (I have 80+ gigs of movies, and 6 gigs of music as well as 4 gigs of photos), and only have about 50 gigs of free space left.

It's the way of the future, but will it be free or a paid service? Looking forward to finding out tonight. Unfortunately though i'm predicting you'll need iOS 5 to be able to do this, and I only have a 3GS but don't really have a need for syncing to it anyway.

SiPat

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Apple re-defined the market and turned not-so-smart phones into genuine smartphones -- everyone else turned on their photocopiers.

Admittedly, Apple has been slow to add features, but Apple does this for a reason, and it's not just about PR. Apple is all about the user-experience and tries to get things as right as possible and, yes, there will always be bugs that need to be sorted.

People are just greedy -- the more they're given, the more they want. It's like a never-ending thirst. Just imagine how you used your mobile phone only 5 years ago. Most people won't even settle for iPhone 3GS and are already demanding features that may only come with iOS 8/9/10!

Smartphone addiction is becoming as serious as alcoholism and being over sexed.

The dictionary on my Mac defines the word predict as say or estimate that (a specified thing) will happen in the future or will be a consequence of something.

It's amazing that whilst every one is predicting, they do it believing that it's actually going to happen.

Last edited:

nstrudwick

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
UK
I realise that these things mustn't hold back innovation, but I can't help but comment that all these "cloud" concepts are predicated on the existence of fast network connections, which a large part of even technically developed countries doesn't have.

At the core of course, all the developers sit on these wonderful fibre networks and forget those of us out in the sticks where the phone system is little better than a bit of string and two tin cans!

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
This image shows basically nothing.

Yup and here are my predictions / spoilers.

1) Those in line are going to be pissed when they get in and see a few dozen in the auditorium already seated. Those already in the place will not talk with the unwashed third party developers that were in line all night soaking up San Francisco, er, aroma.

2) Everyone gets a WWDC 2011 install DVD of Lion.

3) iOS 5 is not going to be out 'til November at the earliest due to licensing issues.

4) iCloud is going to totally kick ass with an update of iOS 4.5 going out next week for the iPhone 4 only. iPhone 3GS and less will just need to suck it up.

5) The "one more thing" is the iPhone 4G.

See you in the conference hall. A few are getting the brunch with Steve before the keynote!

SiPat

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
And here's my prediction:

Real TV -- 32", 37", 42" and 50" LG panels with the 2nd gen TV and Airport Extreme built in along with PVR capability running under iOS5.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
If you are a mac user You know that Apple doesn't change things drastically. They are making improvements and UI changes unobtrusively.
But iOS 5 as a major update, must contain more than just notifications and iCloud support. Otherwise it'll be the year of waiting for nothing. And another year of using a stupid update. But I don't think so.
Remember the other major version updates:

In 2: There were Apps and AppStore.
In 3: Cut, Copy paste, MMS and Push Notifications.
In 4: iBook, iAds, FaceTime and Multitasking.

In 5: twitter integration, Better notifications, iCloud... WTF?

All of those are services, there must be an App. There must be something bigger- let's hope for Widgets

I must say I do not understand the clamour for widgets. Haven't used Dashboard for years. And it pretty much amounts to a weather and clock display in Android. For me notifications are much more crucial - glancable information that is timely and pertinent...not just a widget for the sake of it. The notification system on WebOS and to a lesser extent Android makes the phones feel "alive". They're a big deal.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Bet a dollar it is iPhone 4G. Way to simple of a name to come up with. All this 4G crap, it is an easy way to latch on. The "4S" was just a security leak piece for mole hunting.
I'm not going on anything other than the fact that I don't believe it will be a 4G phone, and they'd never give a phone a "4G" model number if it wasn't.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Really looking forward to this.

On top of all the new exciting OSX, iOS & iCloud features it will be very interesting to see the retail price for Lion. $1... $29... $49... $99... $149.... $199... Whatever it is I predict it will have a huge impact on the adoption rate.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Something to add to my last post: Unless Apple DOES make iCloud free, I can't see their computers losing their hard drives and CD drives anytime soon (CD drives more likely though).

As seen with the Macbook Air, Apple want to eradicate Hard Drives and CD drives completely for obvious reasons. Better battery life, thinner/lighter macs and faster speeds from the SSD.

The reason I think that Apple needs to make iCloud free is because when a customer goes to buy a mac, notices it only has a small amount of flash memory, they are going to want to know why. After being told how iCloud works, and that it is a paid service, said customer might not buy the mac because of this.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Really looking forward to this.

On top of all the new exciting OSX, iOS & iCloud features it will be very interesting to see the retail price for Lion. $1... $29... $49... $99... $149.... $199... Whatever it is I predict it will have a huge impact on the adoption rate.

I'm predicting around $50 (around £45 in the UK) because Apple will want everyone to be using their new cloud services and most likely they will require Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.