Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
With the latest firmware update to the last gen Nano, is last gen and the current gen the same in terms of functionality (I know it uses a Sandisk chip now...)

Same exact features? Thanks.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yep. They're the same. Same product codes and everything. There are no differences. Technically there is no 2011 iPod nano. It's a 2010 6G nano with software 1.2.

The fitness stuff is really just better calibration for the built in pedometer. Nothing physically different.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
So the fitness stuff is exactly the same between 6 gen and 7 gen after you update the 6 gen? Thanks.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
So the fitness stuff is exactly the same between 6 gen and 7 gen after you update the 6 gen? Thanks.

Yeah, like I said, it's just a new calibration setting for running. They didn't even add a /B to the model number. All still /A. Same product code, same product.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
But I thought the 2010 nano needs dongle to connect to Nike+ and the 2011 works as is?

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
But I thought the 2010 nano needs dongle to connect to Nike+ and the 2011 works as is?

From Apple's website - http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/features.html#fitness

"The built-in accelerometer in iPod nano gives you real-time feedback on your workout, and you can upload data to the Nike+ website. There’s no need to connect a receiver or use a shoe sensor to track your steps, distance, pace, and time. Just clip on iPod nano and go. In the gym, connect iPod nano to a Nike + iPod compatible cardio machine to keep track of every workout. Back at your computer, upload all your data to the Nike+ website to create personal goals, check your progress, and challenge your friends to top your results."

So, no Nike+ shoe chip required...

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Ya but this talks about 7th generation Nano, not 6th gen... THe guy above was just asking confirmation about the 6th gen...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Ya but this talks about 7th generation Nano, not 6th gen... THe guy above was just asking confirmation about the 6th gen...

Yeah I know there is a difference.

iFixit did a tear down, 7th gen contains different parts but still same model number.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Based on everything that I've read, an updated nano (7G or updated 6G) can track both walking and running using just the built-in accelerometer. These workouts can be uploaded onto Nike's website.

If you want to use other Nike+ compatible hardware, such as the shoe sensor or a Heartrate strap, you'll still need the Nike+ receiver as neither the 6G nor 7G nano has the Nike+ receiver built in.

As far as how the nano tracks running speed, it uses footfalls and a calibrated stride. I'm pretty sure the Nike+ shoe sensor tracks the actual arc distance of your stride, so it's probably more accurate. Good news for treadmill runners is that either method works on a treadmill.

ft

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Yeah I know there is a difference.

iFixit did a tear down, 7th gen contains different parts but still same model number.

I can find no evidence to support this on iFixit's site, please provide a link. I can't believe that Apple would change the hardware and not change the product code at all.

Personally I think the hardware has not changed at all, this is all a software-only change.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Actually, no idea if the internals are any different but I suspect it's the same with new software.

Even better is if you have a sixth gen, apple is letting you update the software to 1.2.Even gave me a notice today that an updated software was available.

(Well except I'm having issues but it is the same issues I had updating to 1.1, but more on that on a seperate thread).

rebelminion

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
There is no 7th Gen. Everyone (including iFixIt, AppleInsider, etc.) needs to stop saying it. This is simply a software update to the 6th Gen nano.

Every product sees variations in its internal hardware over the life of manufacture. This is effected by suppliers, their prices and ability to meet the demand. However, the specs of the device and what it can do remain the same. It is like deciding to put every ready batteries in your flashlight instead of duracell. Same flashlight, just different batteries.

R

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
There is no 7th Gen. Everyone (including iFixIt, AppleInsider, etc.) needs to stop saying it. This is simply a software update to the 6th Gen nano.

Every product sees variations in its internal hardware over the life of manufacture. This is effected by suppliers, their prices and ability to meet the demand. However, the specs of the device and what it can do remain the same. It is like deciding to put every ready batteries in your flashlight instead of duracell. Same flashlight, just different batteries.

R

If there is a hardware difference, it's not something joe public is ever going to notice without being told.

Anyways, I just got the Apple store to load up the new OS for me on my 6th gen (don't ask me, itunes refuses to update or even restore my iPod. It's been this way since at least the last time they added an update). They did change the layout (and I'm not talking single icons, you can do the four icon grid if you want which is what I did). But they got rid of a lot of icons (playlists/artists/albums are all gone. Instead you go to the Music icon and you pick from there one of those. Not sure if I like it or not but it does seem to make it so I can fit more icons I use on one screen).

And apparently some one claimed you can get rid of icons you just don't use (or opt for them not to show up) but I haven't seen where you can do that.

Edit: I found where you can add or get rid of icons and you can bring back the playlist and songs and artist icons if you really wish. Overall it's a good change that mostly adds a lot more customization to the Nano than it had before.

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
This.

On the Apple website support section, the manual for the Oct 4 Nano is listed as the 6th Generation Nano.

Were any of the iPods updated or was is all just software updates this year?

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
No iPod was updated in terms of new hardware internals. The iPod nano received a new software version, and the iPod touch received a new colour.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
That's sweet, nice of Apple to do, also makes me want to pick on up just for the watch function, as I'm moving my library over to spottily, its not the most useful iPod anymore, but for 100 dollars, I have some files I could load up on there and fact I'd always have a USB disk with me, plus a watch, it's tempting.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
That's always been built in. Ever since I've had my 6th Gen Nano, it has done this.

Knight,

You're incorrect on this one. The 6G nano has an accelerometer which, prior to 1.2, was used to count walking steps. On un-updated 6G nano's, you needed to use the Nike+ kit, which included a receiver that plugged into the nano's 30-pin and a shoe sensor which you put in/on your shoe. The Nike+ kit was used for running to track speed and distance (not entirely sure how it did that).

With the 7G nano (and updated 6G), the need for the Nike+ kit is reduced. Version 1.2 allows the tracking of running pace and distance with the use of the accelerometer.

Forum member Sandiway posted on his blog a comparison between the 7G method vs. the Nike+ kit.

Keep in mind, 7G nanos will still need the Nike+ receiver to utilize other Nike+ accessories, such as the Polar heartstrap.

ft

markiv810

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2002
India
There is a wait of 20 days for the new Nano

Guys I would have to wait for at least 20 more days before I can get my ands on the new nano, or should I just buy the iPod Nano 6th generation. The price of the old 16GB nano is slightly lesser also.

johnnyfinlandia

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Measurement Running

That's always been built in. Ever since I've had my 6th Gen Nano, it has done this.

So I don't need the little lozenge in my shoe and the white connector on my IPOD Nano ?? Are you sure ?

Also I use Nike+ for running and yesterday did a 21k (Half Mar) and the Nano only said I covered 19.6 km ... will the acceleromater sort this out or do you have to calibrate the Running ?

I tried before (version 1.1) and also took my phone with GPS and the Nano was way out (1km on Nano = 1.3 actual km) !

I am running 1.2 and was yesterday so not sure what I should do ...

Thanks
:confused:

Last edited:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
So I don't need the little lozenge in my shoe and the white connector on my IPOD Nano ?? Are you sure ?

Also I use Nike+ for running and yesterday did a 21k (Half Mar) and the Nano only said I covered 19.6 km ... will the acceleromater sort this out or do you have to calibrate the Running ?

I tried before (version 1.1) and also took my phone with GPS and the Nano was way out (1km on Nano = 1.3 actual km) !

I am running 1.2 and was yesterday so not sure what I should do ...

Thanks
:confused:
johnny,

I'm going to try to eliminate some of the confusion going around here regarding the 6/7g nano and the Nike+ kit.

Based on all of the information that I've read, the 6g nano is the exact same device as the 7g. This was reiterated to me by the Apple Store employee as we walked away with 2 6g nano's yesterday (at the $129 price).

In any event, the difference between 1.1 and 1.2 in regards to Nike+ is that with 1.2, the nano can use the accelerometer to track running pace and distance. With 1.1, the nano would need the Nike+ kit (transmitter in the shoe and receiver on the iPod). I'm not quite sure how the transmitter (aka lozenge) determined your speed/stride, but I've read from one source that the two methods are very close to each other in terms of results.

Check out forum member Sandiway's post regarding the difference between using the Nike+ kit vs. using the accelerometer.

ft

iNeko

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
England
I just received my Nano bought on the day of announcement (it was listed as "new" on the Apple online store) it came with software 1.1 and updated when I plugged it in. I think the "new" internals in the Oct 4 Nano are parts that allow Apple to offer it at a cheaper price! I got a TikTok with mine, loving the clock faces! :D

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Guys I would have to wait for at least 20 more days before I can get my ands on the new nano, or should I just buy the iPod Nano 6th generation. The price of the old 16GB nano is slightly lesser also.

There is no new nano.

It's the same exact thing, just with new software (That they allow you to upgrade the original 6th gen Nano to so if you have a 6th gen there is absolutey no reason to buy the new one. I have one from when they came out last year and because of long story I had to go to the Apple store to get it upgraded but it's now pretty much the same Nano as the "new" one cause it's running the same software). They didn't even give it a storage boost or anyting.

I'm not sure how you are getting a cheaper price on the "older" one as it is the same thing. Even if it has the older OS on it Apple will let you upgrade it (iTunes should bug you actually that a newer OS is offered and ask if you want to install it. Just for me for some reason I get some authentication error whenever I try to upgrade or even restore my Nano. And they support it well enough they happily did the upgrade for me even though it's out of warranty. I think something is messed up somewhere in my iTunes folder as this is the second time I've had to do this and the Apple store has no issue upgrading my ipod to the newest OS).

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
i just read this and decided to update my 6th gen nano. Immediately, it said v1.2 was available, downloaded and installed, new clocks, new larger home icons, fitness app works without dongle...etc. It is an excellent upgrade that was needed. Since I use mines as a watch, the newer clock faces are awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.