Last orders for the lunchtime pint

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sreedy, May 12, 2006.

1. sreedy macrumors 6502a

BBC Story

Well I don't know about the rest of you but the Friday pint is still a must where I work, each friday without fail we are off for that pint. It's a social thing that I think helps bring us together :D

In fact..... I'm off now..... more news after the beer! :p

2. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Nanny --- stuff! Whatever next --- ?? :mad:

Oh, and if you can get me a pint and a double-scotch chaser in when you're at the bar - maybe a bag of peanuts? Thanks. Got a delicate brain operation this afternoon and I need to calm my tremors. :)

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Are you kidding?

Drinking alcohol in the middle of a workday? Would definitely be frowned upon where I work... besides, I couldn't make it through an afternoon of meetings and producing artwork while over the limit. Afternoon naps would then be the order of the day, I think.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Where I work there used to be a bar onsite. It got closed down about a month before I started here because a few individuals would stay in there all afternoon :(

5. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Outrageous. I'll remember to bring it up with my colleagues when we meet for lunch in the pub in 3 minutes ..... If they did ban the Friday Pint around here there would be uproar ... so it's a good job we have the Monday to Thursday pint during the week to console ourselves.:eek:

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

We have an onsite mini-bar but it opens after work, presumably to avoid that sort of thing :)

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm just about to head to the pub too :D so will ask IT to block that particular BBC story from the big bosses.

We've always had a common-sense approach to it. You don't go out and get legless at lunchtime but a drink or two isn't a problem. Those who think their work might be impacted just have one (or a soft drink) and those who don't, have two. Equally, those who have meetings with outside suppliers/clients in the afternoon wouldn't come back smelling like a brewery.

As others have said, it's the social aspect of sitting with colleagues for a drink and lunch that's important.

8. iGav macrumors G3

Really.... wowser. :eek:

In fact, when we had Smirnoff as a client... it was encouraged. heh. :D

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Meh. I'm just bitter and jealous 'cos I can't drink at all at the moment... taking antibiotics. Powerful ones, horse ones as my GP called them. :D

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hmm back when i was working my past 3 internships over summers, all my bosses encouraged us to drink (even if i was underage haha). friday lunches were a bit longer and it gave us a chance to share and catch up on what each of our departments was doing during the week. i think its a shame to let this die. obviously everything in moderation!

11. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Especially moderation. :D

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    haha yeah i would totally understand a ban in an office where people have regulalry shown up lashed after their friday lunch.

13. mpw Guest

Our former office had a canteen with beer on draught :D

Now-a-days it just wouldn't occur to me to go drinking at lunchtime but I'd happily drink with a meal if I was out at a restaurant.

We have one company we deal with quite a bit however that when we meet with them it's always a lunchtime affair which starts at 1pm and we usually make our excuses to leave by around 4:30pm and I know those guys continue on from restaurant to bar to club all on their expenses, and they'd happily have us join them too. Once an agreement was made in error by one of our upper-management which would've cost our company ~£1million. A cleverly crafted letter by my boss and a fuzzy recollection on their part saved the managers job!

14. Queso macrumors G4

Drinking with clients and suppliers at lunchtime is how most business in London gets done. If it gets banned, the entire UK economy could collapse :eek:

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm pleased with myself if I actually get a lunchtime in the first place, never mind a trip to the pub... :D

16. Lau Guest

It seems a bit heavy handed to ban it completely, because as Applespider says, it is up to the individual. I used to be able to drink at lunchtime and function reasonably well in the afternoon, but I can't do it now. I get reeeaaaaaaalllly sleepy even after one pint, and definitely can't function properly afterwards. I don't think that should mean that other people who can take it shouldn't be able to though.

17. mpw Guest

that'll be the rohypnol, sorry:eek:

18. iGav macrumors G3

hahahahahahahahahaha :p :p :p

19. Lau Guest

<falls over> :p

20. mpw Guest

That's the idea.

21. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm back now!

What a team building lunch that was!

I have to say the beer garden here in Box, Near Bath was fantastic today.... great weather and great cider!

22. dcv macrumors G3

Me too... a glass or two of wine at lunchtime and I'm virtually falling asleep all afternoon... Yes I can still 'function' but I'm doing stuff with my eyes half shut!

23. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't say I am achieving much at this moment in time!

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm bound to drink during the day as a wine rep. Not every day, but tasting wine with customers is part of the job (poor little me). I have to say I agree, I'd probably be more productive if I didn't drink but I've learnt to taste just a bit without overdoing it. I've had to considering the rest of my job is driving between accounts. :p

25. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, I work for me, and me says that drinking is fabulous, be it on a sunny Friday lunchtime or a rainy Monday morning ;)