Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Password management app LastPass was today updated to version 4.0, introducing an entirely new design and a range of new features across the company's Mac/PC apps, mobile apps, and browser extensions.

The new LastPass 4.0 update introduces a revamped user interface that focuses on a more intuitive layout and a streamlined look and feel across multiple platforms. There's a redesigned password vault, web vault, and new browser extension menus, all of which include more prominent website icons, improved navigation, and bolder color schemes.

With the new user interface, it's possible to switch between a "Grid" view or a "List view" for managing data, and there's a new "Add" menu for quickly adding new sites, Secue Notes, Form Fill Profiles, or Folders. There are also new hover menus with options for quickly launching, editing, sharing, and deleting items stored in the app. For users who do not care for the new look, LastPass is implementing a toggle option that will let people switch between the old interface and the new design for the next several months.

lastpassredesign-800x454.jpg

Along with the redesigned interface, LastPass has new sharing features. An Emergency Access feature gives users the ability to give trusted friends or family members access to a password vault in case of emergency. An optional waiting period ensures Emergency Access is only granted to trusted users in the case of a true emergency, with all access requests declinable by the primary user.

lastpassemergencyaccess-800x454.jpg

The new LastPass Sharing Center lets users manage and share passwords for accounts in a secure, encrypted way, useful if two or more people need access to the same website via a single account. The Sharing Center allows multiple people to access login and password information, keeping passwords in sync for all users.

lastpasssharingcenter-800x454.jpg
"As today's digital consumers are tasked with a growing number of online accounts and passwords, the negative consequences of unsafe password behaviors grow too, from how we create and remember passwords to how we share accounts with colleagues and family," said Joe Siegrist, CEO and co-founder of LastPass. "With LastPass 4.0, we set out to design an intuitive password management experience that could help both first-time users and long-time LastPass customers - personal accounts, teams and entire businesses - to more effortlessly follow and embrace password best practices while maintaining a secure digital identity."
LastPass can be used for free on a single device, including a Mac, iPhone, or iPad, but using LastPass on more than one device with syncing capabilities and family sharing requires a premium subscription, priced at $12 per year. There's also an enterprise option priced at $24 per user per year.

LastPass for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

LastPass for Mac can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: LastPass for Mac and iOS Updated With New Design and Sharing Features

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I love lastpass - I use it everyday.

Two wishes: (1) for the iOS version to autofill credit card information, like the desktop browser extensions do; and (2) easier way to add new sites in the iOS version, without having to manually type in the url and stuff.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I use to love this app. Still use it on my Windows machine at work. However I have all Apple outside of work and find the keychain to work quite well. Have yet to find a reason on the apple platform to use last pass.

icrew

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2003
I use to love this app. Still use it on my Windows machine at work. However I have all Apple outside of work and find the keychain to work quite well. Have yet to find a reason on the apple platform to use last pass.
The major one for me is the folder of shared passwords. That way, my wife and I can both have easy access to all of our shared accounts (bank, utilities, and so forth) from our individual LastPass accounts, and my mom can share certain passwords with me for stuff I'm helping her on.

The fact that LastPass is also cross-platform is also nice, so I can use it on Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android (all of which I use in my IT guy role).

Reactions: sulliweb

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
The major one for me is the folder of shared passwords. That way, my wife and I can both have easy access to all of our shared accounts (bank, utilities, and so forth) from our individual LastPass accounts, and my mom can share certain passwords with me for stuff I'm helping her on.

The fact that LastPass is also cross-platform is also nice, so I can use it on Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android (all of which I use in my IT guy role).
That makes sense. And I had not thought about sharing passwords with the wife. Might look into that as she can't seem to keep her passwords straight even with keychain.

icrew

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2003
BTW, it's still showing up as v. 3.12 in the Mac App Store for me. Anyone else?

SlipperySlop

Suspended
Sep 14, 2015
I'll pass.

I guess that is something that is good to know for someone, perhaps a relative. But without an explanation, it's completely meaningless to people who don't know you, isn't it? These kind of posts completely baffle me. Maybe someone can help me understand what the point of the post is.

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
I love lastpass - I use it everyday.

Two wishes: (1) for the iOS version to autofill credit card information, like the desktop browser extensions do; and (2) easier way to add new sites in the iOS version, without having to manually type in the url and stuff.

You might consider Dashlane then. It's not flawless but the iOS app does a good job at detecting and filling into credit card fields and automatically saving new sites. Actually the new update of LastPass makes it look very similar to Dashlane. The downside to Dashlane is its price. If you want to install it on more than one device with passwords synced - I have it on my iPhone, MacBook Pro and PC desktop - it'll cost $40 per year. Installing on a single device is free so you can trial it on your phone to see if it suits you.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Does it have any advantage to 1Password if I only use OS X and iOS?

I got 1Password 3 and 4 for free from Parallels. The upgrade to 5 was a free one. And the number of Macs I am allowed to use it on is unlimited. I have already 6.0 Beta 2. Maybe I have to pay for the final version. Then I would think about a change. But I like it very much.

RayWilliamsII

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
It would appear that this article is a little premature or misleading. LastPass has released the 4.0 version of their web browser extensions, not their native applications. The Mac and iOS versions of LastPass have not been updated. They are 3.19 and 3.1.12 respectively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.