Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project538

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
So my Late 2006 iMac locked up while I was playing Minecraft, which is a common occurrence these days. It usually reboots just fine. However, when I attempted to reboot it this time, I was greeted with a "No" symbol (the circle with a slash through it". Another attempt at a reboot had the screen hanging at the Apple logo, and still another brought up a flashing folder with a question mark on it. What do I do?

Thanks,

-Project538

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Try reinstalling the OS. If that doesn't work or you can't reinstall it, your hard drive might be dead. Press the command-V key to when starting it up to start it up in verbose mode. Tell us what lines it freezes at or repeats non-stop.

Project538

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
Try reinstalling the OS. If that doesn't work or you can't reinstall it, your hard drive might be dead. Press the command-V key to when starting it up to start it up in verbose mode. Tell us what lines it freezes at or repeats non-stop.

Unfortunately it's not responding to any startup key combinations, so I can't try either of those things... thoughts?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Is it a USB keyboard? What happens if you press and hold option at startup? Don't forget, you need to press and hold the command and the V key right after you hear the startup noise and continue holding them until you see the verbose startup text.

Project538

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
Is it a USB keyboard? What happens if you press and hold option at startup? Don't forget, you need to press and hold the command and the V key right after you hear the startup noise and continue holding them until you see the verbose startup text.

Yeah, it's a USB keyboard. How long should these things take to appear? Right now I'm trying to boot in to Lion Recovery. I've been holding the keys forever and it has stayed on the white screen. An Apple logo just showed up, but other than that it's not doing anything. I'll try the verbose mode next.

EDIT: It booted from the Snow Leopard DVD... Now what?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
They don't take more than 30 seconds. You may have a hardware failure of some kind if nothing appears when holding startup keys.

Project538

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
Alright, I"m back up and running! Booted from a Snow Leopard disc and then told the computer to restart and boot into the hard drive. It worked, and now I'm back in to Lion. Anything I should do to prevent this from happening again?

Project538

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
Run Disk Utility to verify your hard drive and possibly back up your data.

Disk Utility says everything is fine... Somehow I doubt that. Either way, I'm running a back up right now. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it! :)

Project538

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
You can't run Minecraft on that thing at over 2 FPS, can you..?

It runs fine most of the time. I have most of the graphics settings on "fast", and I've installed Optifine which helps as well. It lags every once in a while and crashes from time to time, but I'll make it work until I get a new computer for college. I don't have an exact FPS count for you off the top of my head, but I can get one later and post it if you're interested.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
That model of iMac is prone to problems in the graphics system when it gets too hot. The problem seems to get worse as the system gets older. Have you noticed any graphics glitches, especially when the system is working hard? On my system, these glitches are often followed by a hang.

Download smcFacControl, install it, and keep an eye on the system temperatures. Consider boosting the fan speeds by a moderate amount to keep the temperatures from going too high. Over time, you may be able to see about what temperatures lead to symptoms, and adjust the fans to stay out of the danger zone.

These days, my 2006 iMac needs the fans turned up enough that I hear them (in a quiet room) if I'm doing anything graphics-intensive.

mindaugas1

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
Hello Need help please

Cannot boot my imac 2006 grey screen with mouse pointer in the corner,
i could boot into safe mode "but now i installed some program cannot log into safe mode any more"
tried to reinstall OS no luck receive message that says "you need to restart your computer or shut down" .... in several languages.
on verbose mode
thank you.

IMG00606-20150309-2135.jpg

IMG00607-20150309-2136.jpg

IMG00609-20150309-2136.jpg

IMG00610-20150309-2136.jpg

mindaugas1

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
Have you tried erasing the hard drive and reinstalling Mac OS X?

Hi again, I cant erase my hard drive " tried different hdd not apple one" while booting cd I receive message saying you need to restart your computer in several languages,
If im booting hard drive then it freezes to white screen and mouse pointer at top left corner, as i said before i could boot to safe mode but not any more because of that software, I disconnected hard drive and managed to boot to verbose mode and post them pictures here any advice what can it be? can it be my wireless car for any reason? Thank for your quick response:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.