Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milesz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
I have read a lot online and viewed a lot of videos on Youtube, but the more I read the more confused I get. Is there a simply (step by step) way to install Mavericks or Yosemite on my unsupported late 2006 Macbook Pro? Lastly, which is the more usable (i.e. the least problem). I know this has been covered many times on this site but I just don't get it.

Thanks in advance,

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I have read a lot online and viewed a lot of videos on Youtube, but the more I read the more confused I get. Is there a simply (step by step) way to install Mavericks or Yosemite on my unsupported late 2006 Macbook Pro? Lastly, which is the more usable (i.e. the least problem). I know this has been covered many times on this site but I just don't get it.

Thanks in advance,

Honestly, even if you could get it installed on an unsupported machine, the performance would be so comparatively poor that you wouldn't be getting any of the benefits from the latest OS.

Snow Leopard is the best performing OS for your machine, so I'd stick with 10.6.8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.