Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shpenza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Barcelona
Hi All,

A few days ago i was about to install Windows 7 through BootCamp onto my 1TB Segate + Fusion drive, while BootCamp was partitioning the new Windows 7 volume i noticed 30 minutes later it still was trying to partition it (which is not normal, should take a couple of minutes). Than i tired to stop the process to see what is wrong (reboot the machine a few times), checked the disk again and saw that the amount of size i was about to use for Win 7 was not given back to my Mac HD (strange, as there was no actual partition in place). I thought to my self, why not check for disk issues and found that the disk is damaged and could not be repair, only by deleting it (so i did) and reinstalled OS X (which failed because of a bad disk).

I HATE FREAKING SEGATE DISKS!!!

Called Apple and they will replace my machine (lucky me i was in the 14 days warranty), and i asked the Apple girl to please request an iMAC with WD disk this time (she cant do that), freak!!!

1. Did anyone had a bad HD on the new late 2012 iMAC's? and if so, was that SEGATE?
2. Why oh why Apple uses such bad freaking disks as Segate? this is a high end computer, the components should be the best in the market.

starscript

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2012
Glasgow, Scotland
maybe you where just very unlucky and got a faulty HDD or glitch in the system. it's not your's or apples fault, it's just what can happen when you have mechanical drives.
hope your replacement is delivered fast and it's what you originally expected

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Mine dead iMac with fusion drive (1t seagate HDD) is still laying there waiting for replacement.
I also got the mail says the replacement iMac will be shipped within 5 days.
Seems like the HDD gate is approaching. ;)

----------

iMac is the low end desktop from apple, the high end one is mac pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.