Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I've searched the Web on this topic and haven't found an answer to my particular question. I have a late 2012 2.3 GHz i7 Mac mini that I bought to replace my early 2008 15" MacBook Pro. Since I missed the portability of my MBP, last year, I bought a 2015 13" Retina MBP. I love it. One reason I bought the 2015 MBP rather than a refurbished 2014 model was for the 4K monitor support at 60 Hz. My original intention was to sell the Mac mini, but I decided to keep it, because 1) having a backup computer is a good idea and 2) it makes a great media center, and I'm able to keep all of my peripherals connected to it. I have an inexpensive 1080P monitor connected to my Mac mini. Because I do a lot of photography work, and I'm interested in video, I eventually want to get a 5K iMac, but I can't justify the cost for now, since it's just a hobby. So I'm considering getting a 4K monitor. The Dell P2715Q gets great reviews. I'd connect my MBP for when I want 4K for photo editing and such, but I'd keep my Mac mini connected at all times. I've seen posts where people claim to have gotten a 4K monitor to work at 30 Hz or 60 Hz with a late 2012 Mac mini. That would be great, but I'd be happy with 2560 x 1440 -- if it looks sharp. And that's where I haven't seen any posts by people who actually use a 4K monitor at the non-native 2560 x 1440 resolution. I also connect my work 2015 HP i7 Windows laptop to my external monitor when I work from home. On the HP, I use MS Office and Adobe CC for desktop publishing and PowerPoint. So, bottom line, I want a monitor that looks great at 4K 60 Hz on my MBP, and that looks great at at least 2560 x 1440 on my Mac mini and HP laptop. Has anyone had any experience doing this?

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I finally found an article saying that a monitor looks best at its native resolution, which makes sense. Unfortunately, 2560 x 1440 monitors haven't dropped in price much relative to 4K monitors. So I'll probably stick with my current setup until I decide to buy a 5K iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.