Late Night 'Motor Noises' Heard From Apple-Leased Sunnyvale Campus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Loud "motor"-sounding noises are being heard at a Sunnyvale campus where Apple leases at least one building, reports AppleInsider, speculating that the sounds could be coming from a secret car testing facility. Apple occupies a single building in a 7-building campus at North Wolfe Road and Central Expressway in Sunnyvale, which it leased in 2014.

AppleInsider has previously suggested that in addition to its known offices at the location, where it conducts research and development, Apple is also operating under a shell company known as SixtyEight Research. SixtyEight Research is a mysterious "market research" operation that also leases one of the buildings on the campus, and given the lack of information available about the company, it could potentially be a front for the site where Apple works on its Apple Car.

[​IMG]
    Campus where Apple leases a building, via San Jose Mercury News

In recent months, a resident who lives near the 7-building campus has complained to the city of Sunnyvale about "motor" noises emanating from the area late at night. Major renovations undertaken by Apple have been underway at the site since last year, so it is unclear if the resident was simply hearing ongoing construction sounds.
    There continues to be no confirmed link between Apple and SixtyEight Research, or clear evidence that Apple is using the facility for its Apple Car development, but Apple has plans to build a 10-foot security fence around the area to hide its activity.

The rumored car being developed by Apple under the name "Project Titan" is still in the early stages, but Apple is said to have hundreds of employees working on the project. Over the past few months, Apple has hired dozens of new employees with expertise in the auto industry, poaching them from companies like Ford, Tesla, GM, and more.

Recently, "Project Titan" lead Steve Zadesky announced plans to leave the company, and Apple is said to have implemented a temporary hiring freeze ahead of his planned departure. Apple executives are also said to be unhappy with the progress being made on the Apple Car, so its future could be in question. Rumors have suggested Apple is aiming to have the final design of its car established by 2019 or 2020.

Article Link: Late Night 'Motor Noises' Heard From Apple-Leased Sunnyvale Campus

2. DotCom2 macrumors 68020

I am still not convinced they are working on a actual physical car but software for an autonomous car that they have to TEST on a real car.

3. flowsy macrumors regular

flowsy

4. bruinselmann macrumors member

Engine noises as in internal-combustion-engine noises? Unlikely.

5. 0815 macrumors 68000

6. zombiecakes macrumors regular

Why would it be related to a car and not construction/maintenance work? What kind of crapass car would they be making if it was so loud it caused a noise disturbance? It could also be some jerk employee revving their engine to show off how loud their new muffler is.

7. dec. Suspended

dec.

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

If  does indeed make a vehicle, it will be overpriced like all their products.

KIA and HYAUNDIA quality, with features of a low-end FORD and GM, at the price of a BENZ, BMW, or even possibly a MASERATI.

Margins baby, it's all about margins.

9. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Also heard, late night coughing. Is Apple poised to enter the pharmaceutical industry with their own cough medicine?

10. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

That will be one of the employees leaving for the evening.

Nothing to see here, move along.

11. ryansimmons323, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016

ryansimmons323 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that SixtyEight website is built with website builder Weebly.

Perhaps it's so they don't have to host it in the conventional manner, removing anything that could identify it as Apple.

Obviously they could easily host a website anonymously, but Weebly makes it very easy to leave as little a trace as possible.

Plus it's the quickest way to do it.

Edit: It's actually a very Weebly-like WordPress theme.

12. JohnApples macrumors 6502a

Exactly. This is only going to fuel (pun) the already-blown-out-of-proportion Apple Car rumors.

13. jacobh101 macrumors member

merely speculation of an autonomous vehicle probably attracts world class engineers, they'd be foolish not to have an Apple car r&d department.

14. Kiro macrumors member

Kiro

As if electric cars will make much noise...
    Maybe they'll add an V8 sound-emulator with beats speakers

15. Thunderhawks macrumors 68040

I think they were just testing a new app to honor the late Lenny from Motörhead.

Applerarri or Appleghini.

16. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

Speak for yourself. I drive an Optima and have never had an issue with the quality of my Kia...

17. samcraig macrumors P6

And some people are concerned over their own privacy - yet it doesn't come at off at all creepy that people are spying on Apple and reporting on noises they are hearing? ;)

18. Norbs12 macrumors regular

Norbs12

I've seen people drive cars in Sunnyvale with my own eyes, it's not a myth cars are real.

19. StacyJaxx macrumors newbie

StacyJaxx

20. CarlosQG macrumors 68020

CarlosQG

Well, if they are making a real car, and Jony is a fan of Aston Martin, then I can only imagine an exquisite design. Hopefully.

21. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

?????? I can see the price point, but the build quality? I doubt that.

22. misterpip macrumors member

23. BruceEBonus macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

I think Tim is checking his getaway car is running efficiently for the March keynote!:eek:

24. iKrivetko macrumors 6502

Pretty sure Apple isn't stupid enough to make a petrol car.

25. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

Nope... the coughing was from the design team getting a little inspiration... if you know what I mean. :p