Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laplace

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Hi all, I am running a current rev Powerbook G4, with 1.5GB RAM, 128Vram, OS X tiger(current), and wireless connection to my airport express which is hooked up to my cable modem.

While playing World of Warcraft I am about 15 feet from the AE, with 2 walls in between. Nothing else to cause interference in the path. However, my neighbors below me might have a 2.4Ghz cordless phone...I'm not positive.

While out of game, my airport signal is about 3/4 to 2/4 bars full (is this normal for 15 feet away with only 2 walls in between?), but I can generally surf the web without any glitches or problems. In game however, the latency bar is almost always yellow or red and i experience severe delay in all functions(i.e. opening bags, corpses, casting spells, etc.). Often times I die due to the lag while fighting monsters.

I am relatively positive that this is a Airport(wireless) problem, but I don't know what it is? Could it be interference? I have tried changing channels and resetting the AE and the Powerbook's settings, but to no avail. The AE is on full transmission power and with interference robustness(however i have tried turning it off, but it didn't work either).

I'm at a loss, and don't know what to try next. Since its an AE, not a Aextreme, I can't plug in hardline and test that. Any ideas?

Thanks

Laplace

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Update:

Using airport client monitor and monitoring the activity I have found the following. At my current location (15ft away, 2 walls from AE), my signal is at about -80dBm with noise levels at -90dBm, and a varying transmit rate(macrumors wouldn't even load). Then I moved the PB to 1 foot away from the AE(where I am currently), and my signal level jumped to -50dBm with noise levels still hovering around -90dBm, and transmit rates varying. However even only 1 ft away from the AE, my airport signal indicator onlyl reads 3/4 bars. Something is clearly wrong here with my reception. I am guessing interference? Would a 2.4Ghz cordless phone by my neighbors(apartment complex) be causing this much trouble? And is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
Laplace said:
Update:

Using airport client monitor and monitoring the activity I have found the following. At my current location (15ft away, 2 walls from AE), my signal is at about -80dBm with noise levels at -90dBm, and a varying transmit rate(macrumors wouldn't even load). Then I moved the PB to 1 foot away from the AE(where I am currently), and my signal level jumped to -50dBm with noise levels still hovering around -90dBm, and transmit rates varying. However even only 1 ft away from the AE, my airport signal indicator onlyl reads 3/4 bars. Something is clearly wrong here with my reception. I am guessing interference? Would a 2.4Ghz cordless phone by my neighbors(apartment complex) be causing this much trouble? And is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks

The phone can be a serious problem. Buy them a new phone. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.